Monday, September 5, 2011

What's for Dinner



On Friday morning I decided to get some menu planning done for 2 weeks. That way I know what I need and do the major portion of the shopping that afternoon. I knew I'd be buying some boneless pork loin roast, $1.99/lb and went on line and searched a favorite food site. Hubby told me what his mom did when he was growing up. Put meat and veggies together and bake in the oven. The recipe I found is a step up from the suggested meal. So I'm making Rollover Pork Loin & Gravy with Roasted Veggies and Potatoes on Monday, from Rachael Ray.

Then making the Rollover Black Bean chili a week from Tues. On Sat. this week I'm using up some of the pork in layered cranberry enchiladeas instead of turkey, that I don't have!


Photo above is chicken I cooked Saturday evening, using a new spice I found at Safeway on sale for $1.99. After cooking the chicken on ones side, I sprinkled the Montreal Chicken seasoning on it then turned it over to cook til almost done, then spread our favorite Trader Joe's All Natural Barbecue Sauce over it and cooked some more. I served it with baked potatoes and veggies, which I wound up burning. I don't like it when that happens! I was able to salvage some of it! A little bit of charcoal is good for you?! (I try not to make it a habit!)


Recipe for Rollover Roast Pork Loin and Gravy with Roasted Veggies and Potatoes
(see link below for a video of Rachael Ray making this meal)

Ingredients

  • 1 5 pound boneless pork loin roast
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for drizzling
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 thyme springs, leaves removed and chopped
  • 2 pounds baby carrots
  • 2 small or 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets, each floret cut in half
  • 8 baking potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size cubes
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed or grated
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves (a couple of handfuls), roughly chopped
  • 3 scallions, green and white parts finely chopped
Serves 4

Preparation

Pre-heat the oven 425°F.

Place the pork roast in a roasting pan or on a cookie sheet. Drizzle thoroughly with some EVOO and season liberally with the salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the chopped thyme. Transfer to the oven and roast for 45-60 minutes, until the internal temperature is 145°F. Remove from the oven and let the roast rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

Arrange the baby carrots, cauliflower and potatoes between three cookie sheets. Drizzle everything liberally with EVOO and some salt and pepper.

Transfer the veggies to the oven about 30 minutes before you are ready to remove the pork roast. Roast them for about 40 minutes, until tender.

For the gravy, place the butter in a medium size saucepot over medium-high heat and let it melt. Once melted, add the garlic and cook for one minute. Add the flour and stir to combine with the fat and continue to cook for one minute. Whisk in the chicken stock, bring up to a bubble and cook until thick. Reserve the gravy cover to keep warm until ready to serve.


Rachael Ray

Other items on the menu this week are Chicken and Cheesy Biscuits and Veggies, mini ravioli and tuna, Anytime One Dish Salmon and homemade biscuits. Leftovers on Wednesday since one person home. Oh no, maybe two people this week.
Next week is spaghetti on Sunday, our usual after church meal since it's quick and easy and hubby makes it. Chicken marinated in sweet and sour sauce, biscuits and veggies, Black Bean chili, as I mentioned above, Sausage soup, Chunky Bean and chicken chili.
I'm linked up with OrgJunkie for menu planning this week.
And that's what's cookin' at our house this week.


1 comment:

Camille said...

How wonderful that you have all those meals planned out Becky! Doesn't that feel good?? I MUST get going on my plan too! :)

Maybe we'll stop by for dinner one night. ;-)

Blessings,
Camille