Saturday, July 12, 2014

Remembering Mom

Yesterday was my mom's memorial service. Pastor Don  officiated at the church where my mom attended before she went to a nursing home. Six years ago. It was a bittersweet service. It was almost surreal to me. It was my mom's service, not someone else's  memorial service. I was sitting in the front row with the rest of the family. Kleenex handy for tears.   My husband, Phil, gave the eulogy. It was good.  Good music and good sharing time. So thankful mom loved the Lord. She taught us to love Him, too. What a great legacy! 

My friend, Beth, was there as well. We've been friends since 1st grade. Oh so last century. She travelled over an hour to get there! It was good to see her and share a few memories. She's older than me! Three days older!

Family photo....Phil, my husband, Tyler, my nephew, David, my brother, me, Megan, my daughter and Kerri, my sister (who drove about 3 hours to get there.) She came down last week to help me clear out our mom's portion of the room, the day portion of the "day" mom died. (Mom had two other room mates.) (Megan and I are wearing necklaces that were mom's.)    By evening time yesterday, I was done with stuff. All I wanted to do was curl up and hide!  After I figured out how many death certificates I needed to order, clean up a few things,  I went to bed.  Then I curled up and pulled the blankets over me. There! That's just what I needed!  Then Phil had to prod me out of bed this a.m.  My body and spirit just wanted to stay there! But he said that I needed to go be grandma today...yes, the date had been set to watch them for a few weeks.    I actually started to feel better an hour later after we got to our son's apartment. Being with grandchildren made me feel better!  But that's another story.  Thanks for kind comments and prayers, my friends.  It's been a long week. I worked all 4 days and did some things for the service.....I'm having down time today and it feels great!  Staying cool as well, since it's been  90 degrees for all week. Hope you are having a good summer, so far! God's blessings to all of you!

5 comments:

Betsy said...

Ah Becky. My prayers have been with you since I read the news about your Mom. I know from experience how hard it is to lose your Mother. I was only 29 when mine had a massive heart attack and died way too young. I miss her every day, but knowing I'll see her again someday is a great comfort. She loved The Lord too.
I'll continue to pray for your family.
Blessings,
Betsy

Kathy said...

Becky, my heart breaks for you. I lost my mom a few years back. There is no one like your mom and never will be. I am praying for you and your family that God will give you peace and heal your broken heart. Grandkids are probably just what you need right now.

Linda W. said...

So sorry about the loss of your mother. It's wonderful that you have your friends and family there for support.

aimee said...

Losing a mom is hard. There will be good days and there will be bad ones in the weeks to come. But there will also be laughter and good memories! It is a blessing to know you will one day be with your mom again -- in a place where there is no more pain, no more tears and no more goodbyes.
Blessings to you + yours,
Aimee

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Becky. I pray God will comfort your heart. Yes, children are so very healing. What a wonderful legacy your mom left.