Monday, July 27, 2009

Name of the New Interest is Genealogy

I've been busy so I've not posted much. I just figured out how to add a site meter to my account. I'm so happy I don't have to ask for help!! Just have to ponder some to make it work. It's good to have a little time to do this, since Monday is my day off. I've actually been lazy today and it felt good. Seems like Mondays are busy for me cuz I shop and do extra cooking. Once in awhile, I just have to slow down.

A couple weeks ago my daughter, Megan, and I were visiting the travelling Vietnam Memorial Wall, 45 miles south of us. It's much closer than Washington D.C. It's about 75% the size of the real wall. We started at the beginning, and looked at names, not reading them all. A name caught my eye. Daniel L. Quimby. Quimby is my maiden name. Found out he was only 20 years old when he died as a mortarman in Vietnam, serving with the US Marines. It's sent me on a genealogical search now, trying to find his parents names to match up any link of relation. I've realized that genealogy is like putting a puzzle together. Many missing pieces and I can only find certain information without having to open my credit card to pay for information. I have the center piece, the main character. I need the edge pieces to go around it--brother, sister, mom, dad, grandparents. I know the town he lived in and high school he went to. Also found a man (Roger) who could very well be his brother in the same town in Ohio. I'm trying to get up enough guts to write him.

It was interesting that I could actually see Roger's house on google map site. You can even turn the picture to go different directions on the street. Interesting!! I find the computer amazing. I know google earth can find anybody's house. It's alittle scary to find out what technology can do for me when I'm searching. Years ago it wasn't possible to do all this. That's what happens when you send men to the moon and space shuttles and space stations into space. Technology just keeps growing. In many aspects, that's good, because technology can save people's lives as well. We all just need to remember to use it wisely and for good reasons.

I've come to the conclusion, that even if LCPL Daniel Lee Quimby isn't a relative, he will remain in my heart. He was young, fought for our country in a war that was unpopular. (When is a war popular?) He was brave and gave his life for our freedom. The greatest casualty is being forgotten. God bless our soldiers, wherever they are serving and keep them safe. God bless America
.

No comments: