Sunday, August 9, 2009

Potato Salad for 35 servings

A few months ago, a friend's daughter became engaged to be married. I told Ruth that I'd be more than happy to help with food. She needed salads and sandwiches made. Since I make a pretty good potato salad, I volunteered to make one. Then I found out that it should be for 35 servings/people. I researched over the internet for recipes that would help me out. I needed 10# of potatoes. Oh my, that's alot of potatoes to peel, which we find is easiest. Some recipes I read didn't have any eggs or very few to the ratio of potatoes that I usually use. So I figured 18 eggs would work.

My neighbor across the street works at an egg farm and he willingly brings me eggs when I ask for them. He was more than happy to oblige on this occasion, bringing me 2-1/2 dozen eggs. He brought them a week before I needed them. The older the egg is makes it easier to peel. So I put 18 eggs in a covered Tupperware container and labeled it "eggs for wedding potato salad. Don't use or else." (Just because.) I've found labeling items in refrigerator keeps them for getting used for the wrong reason.

Ingredients



Boiling the Eggs.


Peeled Eggs


Megan helping peel the eggs
Thurs. evening.


Boiling the potatoes in 2 pans
because there were 30 potatoes
(boiled about 40 minutes.) Don't
boil til they are ready to mash, a bit on hard side.
I love my new gas stove with
oven we got in Feb.

Getting read to assemble
the salad.

Finished product!!



Tyler and Alyssa,

the Newlyweds!
(Insert hearts & birds here!)


Becky, chief potato

salad maker.

My potato salad at the buffet.


My husband, Phil, volunteered to peel the potatoes on Friday morning. He doesn't work til later in the day. So he had time to do it. I did peel 10, with the new peeler I'd bought for the project. I love how this project turned into a family project. What would I do without them? Work more, I guess. But done with love for friends!!
Recipe:
10 lbs. of potatoes, peeled and cut in half, then half again;
6-8 oz of onion, chopped
4 dill pickles,
18 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
2 1/2 cups mayonnaise,
1 cup yellow mustard,
seasoned to taste with Mrs Dash and some salt,
a bit of pickle juice as well.
Because of the mass of potatoes in the bowl, it was imperative that I stir through the middle of the bowl. It was quite dry through there. Make sure you stir well, add more or less mayo/mustard as you prefer, per taste buds.
This recipe is how my mom always made potato salad, to taste.
It wasn't expensive to make, $5 at the most.
Priceless when made to help friends out in a time of celebration.

Needless to say, this was an interesting experience as I've never made a salad this big. Usually it's for a fellowship dinner or picnic, using 10 potatoes at the most. Stirring this huge salad was interesting due to so much mass to go through and hopefully getting it all right. It must have been good since we returned home with 1/4 the amount we took to the wedding. It's better to have too much than not enough. Thanks for letting me share this experience with you.


2 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Wow! You go, Girl! That is a lot of potato salad!

Your picture up top is STUNNING! I love tulips and I love Mt. Hood. A perfect combination!

I see that you are a new follower on my blog. I hope you enjoy our journey! I will be following yours as well.

Blessings,
Stacie

gahome2mom said...

Thanks for sharing. I like your new stove. :)