Monday, October 12, 2009

Creamy Turkey Ravioli





Photo above is from a shopping trip to Trader Joes. One of my favorite places to shop. I only go there once a month, maybe twice. It's about 40 minutes from here on the interstate but I've got to plan around work days and pay periods. It would be nicer if there was a closer TJ. It could happen. I buy the cereal that's shown, for me. My husband has been eating a bit in the a.m. when he takes his diabetic meds. I guess that's allowed. Among all the goodies you see, is the mini ravioli and mushrooms that I'm using in the Creamy Turkey Ravioli recipe being featured below.
Creamy Turkey Ravioli
1 cup of cooked turkey
4 mushrooms, washed, chopped
1/2 pkg of 16 oz frozen peas and carrots, partially cooked
mushroom soup added to a creamed mixture I made
2 cups milk for thinning
Cream of mushroom soup
spices to taste, 1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 bag of cheese filled mini ravioli, cooked & drained
I started with 2 tablespoons of butter in the big saucepan, and added 2 tablespoons of flour. Then whip with wire whisk. Add 2 cups milk then add 1/2 cup mushroom soup.
(If you want it thicker add more mushroom soup or thin by adding milk.)
Add turkey and mushrooms and chopped onion. As you are cooking all this, heat water for ravioli and cook it according to directions. I microwaved the peas and carrots til almost cooked (about 3 min.) then added them to the cream mixture. Add some cheese if you so desire to creamed mixture. Season to taste. Stir frequently and let it bubble and then simmer.
I like an Italian mix that's got mozzerella and provolone and asiago cheeses in it. This is a preshredded cheese. Rinse the ravioli and then put on plates and pour creamed turkey mixture over top. This is enough for at least 4 adults.
Cost for this meal was:
Turkey-free-leftovers from one I cooked that I got free
Ravioli- $.70 for 1/2 pkg.
mushrooms-$.50
cheese-usually on hand .$75
1/2 pkg. peas and carrots-$1.00
mushroom soup, milk, onion and spices on hand.
Total: $2.95
You can use chicken or hamburger as well.

ENJOY!!!



3 comments:

EllyBean said...

That looks and sounds really tasty! Thanks for sharing.

gahome2mom said...

What gorgeous dish ware! The recipes looks and sounds yummy! :)

Rona's Home Page said...

Do you shop at "Trader Joe's" for the savings or the organic items? My husband and I recently went there and he commented that he didn't see the savings.
You have a delicious menu planned!
I’m so glad that my husband isn’t working on Christmas Eve and Christmas. He really needs the days off.
Here’s wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas!

ps Please feel free to stop by my blog and leave a comment regarding “Do you still read the newspaper”?