Sunday, January 10, 2010

Potato Bread



Christmas dinner included mashed potatoes. Since I was hoping
another person would show up, I had hubby peel more potatoes.
But no show for hopeful guest made leftovers.
So I made potato bread a week later.
I'm scalding the milk with butter and leftover potatoes.
I wound up having more potatoes than recipe called for
(about 2 cups worth) so I doubled the batch.
It still made the bread a bit heavier but it was very good.


After the scalded ingredients were cooled a bit,
I added the flour and yeast and liquid ingredients
into my Bosch mixer. I love this mixer for bread.
Makes less mess, but I still kneaded it a bit prior to
letting it rise. It gets the air out, which is important.

Now it's nap time for the bread. It rises once to double it's size.
Then you punch it down til it rises again.
(I waited a bit longer than I should. I was on the computer
and it popped the lid off bowl.
Good thing it didn't do much more than that. :0> )


Now the bread is ready for baking.




3 loaves freshly baked bread.


Now it's taste test time. I never can wait til bread completely cools
to eat it. It was delicious. 3 people can eat half a loaf quickly.


Potato Bread

3 1/2 cups milk, 6 tablespoons sugar,
6 tablespoons butter, 2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
2 packages dry yeast, 1/2 cup lukewarm water
3 cups whole wheat flour
7-8 cups white flour
Scald milk. Add sugar, butter, salt and mashed potatoes. Cool to lukewarm.
Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in water. Add to cooled milk mixture.
Add whole wheat flour and one cup white flour. Beat 2 minutes with mixer.
Stir in 6-7 more cups flour until dough leaves sides of bowl.
Turn onto light floured surface. Knead gently until dough forms a smooth ball. Place in a greased bowl. Turn once to grease top of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place away from drafts until doubled 1 1/2-2 hours. Punch down and let rise again until double. Turn onto floured surface and divide dough into 3 equal parts. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Form into 3 loaves and place in greased bread pans. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans and place on a rack to cool.

from the book "The Best of Amish Cooking" by Phyllis Pellman Good

Note: I used unbleached white flour. I also didn't use any sugar and it turned out great. I realized after looking at this recipe again, I could have made more loaves since I doubled the batch. I bought new yeast because mine was old but still worked. But I could notice the difference with the new yeast. Rose well and smelled really good. Enjoy and have a fun time baking and eating your bread.

No comments: