Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bounty of Summer

Our first big pick this week of our square foot garden. Lettuce, cilantro and strawberries. We've eaten a few strawberries, like 2 and 3 at a time. Another batch of lettuce ready to pick next week. Roma tomatoes are growing but not red yet and other 3 tomato plants have small tomatoes on them. No beans, onions or carrots yet.


Last Saturday I made a batch of marionberry jam. It is a berry found only here in Oregon, I believe. It's like a blackberry but has very few seeds and are sweet. I bought a flat of marionberries then froze them. Some got made into jam. I've not made jam in a few years. I had to throw out the pectin I'd hoarded from a few years ago. Not good! I plan on making at least 2 more batches of jam this year. NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! :0)
Homemade tastes so much better than store bought jam, hands down!


This is my hydrangea bush in the side lawn, under our tree, planted in our old bathtub. Last year this bush didn't bloom much at all. I'm thinking it was because of a harsh winter. This year the blossoms are more pink than blue. I can see it out my kitchen window. I love it!

1 comment:

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

I love hydrangeas! And yummm, your jams look great! I've never made my own, but my mom would make jams and jellies.

Blessings & Aloha!
I am a wee bit behind in my thanks...thank you for stopping by my ABC post! Have a wonderful week!