Friday, August 13, 2010

Lavender Farm

Mid July was perfect time to visit lavender farms in the area. I got on the bandwagon, so to speak this year. I've usually forgotten about this event. A friend told me about it a few years ago, since she lives in Yamhill. This year I saw a flier in the post office, in Canby, that caught my eye. So I jotted down the web site. I got a lot of information and found places to visit that weren't too far away.


I went out to the Parrott Creek Herb Farm, out of Canby, on a Friday morning. This was the week my hubby was sick so I went by myself and had lunch by myself. But I made it a fun trip and enjoyed my trip anyway! He loves the country. This field had lavender variety called grosso. It was very fragrant. The bees were quite busy.


Sachets of lavender for sale. I bought a small one and it's now in the trunk of my car.

Men on the farm were hastily clearing this field for people to park in tomorrow for the festival.

Bundles of grosso to purchase. I didn't buy these because of the fragrance and I wasn't sure at that point what to do with it.

A distillery where the oil is taken out of the lavender and made into various items. Oils, lotions, soaps, bug repellent, to name a few. I'm going to buy some things next year, now that I know what all is available. Next year I want to go to the festival held in Yamhill and go to a farm over there on the rolling hillside. Perfect for photography. This year I wound up going to an elderly man's funeral since we know his family instead of the festival. Some things just take precedence over pleasure. I did manage to squeeze a visit to another farm on Sunday then another place the following Sat. I'll post those visits soon. Right now I'm enjoying the lavender wands my daughter and I managed to make and the hanging bunch in the laundry room that's drying (3 months drying time.)

2 comments:

Camille said...

What great photos Becky! Mmmm...Lavender is so lovely! Looks like you had a wonderful day...so sorry your husband was sick! :(

Blessings,
Camille

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog today...I enjoyed reading your "commentary"...thank you for adding your wise insight...I'm sure it will be a blessing to others as well. :)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I went to a lavender festival once and it was stunning. I loved your pictures!