Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Toy Story

Here is the Betsy Wetsy doll I've kept for a few years. My mom and dad gave it to me when I was little, like first grade. My first doll and I loved it. I have it in my family room, on the sewing machine table. It is on the chair right now as I was putting things back the way they were from last Sat. when we had family here. It takes another person to help me move the table back where I want it. It's a table I use for my sewing table and it's easy to use when a lot of people are here to eat. I decided to share these photos of my doll because of the recent Toy Story 3 movie that we watched (see previous post.)

Notice the bald spot on the doll's head? Too much hat wearing?

Make shift diaper (purple) out of a purple scarf. Couldn't bear her to have a bare bottom! She also sports my collectible MnM's hat. My daughter has been scared at night when she sees it without the hat. Eyes in the dark?She decided a hat would help. When she was younger, she had a dislike towards mannequins. Still bothers her once in awhile. She thought maybe later that's why she liked her stuffed animals better than dolls. Makes sense to me.


I also remember have a stuffed black and white dog. I threw it away years ago. But I still remember it. I slept with it alot. It got a few washings through the years due to my nosebleeds. A Midge and a Ken doll that a friend gave me as I didn't have a Barbie. A walking doll, anybody remember those? I named her Sheila. She scared me one time because I thought she was a real person. What are some favorite toys you had when you were growing up? Do you still have any of them?

It is rather fun to have a piece of my childhood still around. Not like I play with it. Maybe my granddaughter will someday. Maybe I should get some different clothes for it? She seems to be ok, not crying or anything? Remember the little baby bottles for dolls that looked like you'd be feeding the baby then it fills back up when you put it upright? Ok, I'll quit now. That's my story, what's yours?

4 comments:

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

This was a great story and I loved that you still kept the doll after all these years. I don't really recall having a particular favorite...but I do have this pink stuffed cat that I made in kindergarten...named Mr. Kitty...and I still have him decades later. He's in storage somewhere and I need to find him...so I can take a photo :) :)

I haven't seen Toy Story 3 yet...or 2 for that matter...HOwever, my friends with kids say it's a really great film :) have a lovely week, Becky. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Camille said...

How lovely that you have those memories! Such fun times to be had with dolls...wonderful imaginations developed that way. I had a Gund bear that I bought with Christmas money one year. I was in my late teens so it had a special place in my room and didn't get loved until I gave it to our first boy who loved much of its fur off. Special memories! We have it tucked away for one day when he gets married...don't know if I'll be able to part with it then. :)

Have a lovely week!
Blessings,
Camille

Anonymous said...

Great post! I have a yellow stuffed teddy bear--very loved, very worn from all the loving:)
Blessings,
Aimee

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

That is so amazing that you still have that doll. What a keepsake!