Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Shopping

I am not one of those people that need to go Black Friday shopping at O dark thirty in the morning! What do I really need that can't wait til later in the day? If the item is still there, then I can purchase it! I left my house "Black Friday" at 11:10 a.m. and drove 20 miles north to Costco then Target, which was just across the way and to a game store. All the items I wanted were there. My list wasn't very long.

Well, the photo frames were supposedly sold out at Target an hour prior to my arrival. Rats! But after getting two more items that I came for, I was close to checking out when I saw Toblerone bars sitting there near register. Oh, did I bring that coupon and so checked my purse. Nope, but there was a Ragu spaghetti sauce coupon that I needed to use. So off to the other end of the store, without my shopping cart. I'd had it with trying to go through the aisles and near misses of hitting people. So I grab two jars of spaghetti sauce and go looking for a little hand held cart, which usually are sitting around at end of an aisle. As I'm looking a lady has a shopping cart with 4 boxes of the photo frames I was looking for. I inquired where she got them. I said I was told they'd been sold out. She said she was told the same thing but was informed they had more in the back they didn't know they had! Happy me, I went to find them. I found one but couldn't carry it as I would drop my jars! Target employee carried box to cart that was in middle aisle, where there were carts lined up. Probably for people like me! (That was actually where I'd left my cart earlier.) Happy was I to have forgotten an item and found what I had come for in the first place! Thank you Jesus! :-)

Another note of shopping! My dear friend, Tamara, and I went shopping yesterday. We went primarily to seek out a book for our Bible study for next year. We were in a Bible book store, in town due south of us. I've been in there times before and it was in a sorry state. The store area is smaller, due to the economy. So people aren't going into these type of stores to shop much any more. We found a book we are going to use by Warren Wiersbe, part of his BE series of commentaries. Only one book available so one was ordered for me. We'd thought about ordering on line but then we wouldn't be able to help this struggling store out. We'd have to pay shipping. I will go back to pick up book and possibly buy a compact Bible for myself.

This store has been there for years. I remember when I was young, we'd shop there when we were in the area. It used to be a roller skating rink. The ceiling is in bad repair. There is another Bible bookstore chain that runs it now, but for how long? No Black Fridays for them, which is sad. It's such a stark contrast to me. Where are people's hearts when it comes to shopping? Internet has run many stores out of business. It's quicker and you don't have to leave your home. The books arrive on your doorstep within days. The world has changed and it's not always fun to see the stores you have loved over the years go away. Now that's the rest of the story!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO going to have to buy a Toblerone bar---:)
Blessings always,
Aimee
PS: As usual your landscape photos below are magnificent! Thought of you and your gorgeous photo of Multnomah Falls when I heard the Gorge was getting some winter weather!

Jen (emeraldsunshine.org) said...

I really try to frequent the locally-owned shops in my small town for that very reason. I also support www.indiebound.org because it supports local bookstores!

I'm not much of a shopper so I didn't go out at all for Black Friday.