Saturday, January 15, 2011

Gonna Miss this Cow!

A couple weeks ago I found out that the dairy that produces the milk I usually buy is going out of business. Mallorie's Dairy has been in business for 56 years. They also bottle their own milk. The prices of feed has gone up over 50% which makes it harder to make a profit, no thanks to the economy, world wide and state. Corn, which is in food for cows, is used to produce ethanol, which goes into cars we drive, unfortunately. It's put into our gas, thanks to the government. It decreases our gas mileage. Stipulations hurt the farmers who are trying to make a livelihood for their families by feeding people. They can't make ends meet when cost per gallon is $1.56 and cost for production is over $1.65. After 2 years there's no point in it. I feel for these people who have given a good portion of their lives, some of them, to dairy farming and now watch it go away. If this can happen to a dairy farm that has been loved by their stores they sell to, what is going to happen to the other dairies? Are we now going to need to get milk from dairies out of state? Drink synthetic milk (don't go there!)

Why do I feel their pain? I grew up on a farm and I know what it's like to have your dad and mom sell their farm that had been in the family for years.

(For more information on this dairy story you can click on the blog title. )

5 comments:

Jan said...

This is a real shame, sounds like they sold unpasteurised milk? I've been reading that the downward spiral in your nation's health started with the almost universal pasteurisation of milk there.
Love and blessings,
Jan

aimee said...

I am increasingly concerned about the plight of the American farmer. The government should be helping them not making things more difficult. I like to buy local foodstuffs due to not only freshness and quality but because I want to support local farms and workers.
Good article but sad.
Blessings,
Aimee

Grandma Becky said...

This milk isn't unpasturised. It's local milk and good to drink.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that!!! It is such a struggle!!! I love small family farms!!! So do you have an idea at this point, where you'll get your milk since this dairy is closing? Love and hugs, Heather :)

Grandma Becky said...

Will see what the grocery store replaces it with. There is another local dairy so that will be good. It makes me wonder if $1.99 is too little to pay for milk now. Bi-mart sells milk for $2.50, which I bought the other day so I didn't have to go to the grocery store as well as pickup RX.