Monday, March 14, 2011

Bird Visit

In late Feb., we had a smidgen of snow. We also had our red shafted flicker come again. I've seen it a few times and this time I was able to photograph it from our kitchen window. He had been on the suet feeder but flew onto tree when photo was shot. He has been known to sit higher in the tree and call his mate. Once in awhile she appears with him. Currently we have an owl in our big fir tree but I've not been able to spot it. I hear him though.
A week ago we spotted a different flicker in our tree. I went onto Steve Creek's website and found the same bird, but it was in Oklahoma! Must been on vacation since I couldn't find it in my bird book. Other people have been seeing different birds that aren't residents of the area. Is it possible that it's due to rainy and snowy conditions from the midwest and eastern states? Maybe I'll ask one! At one time an oriel visited here when I had my buddelia bush. You just never know what bird will show up if you put out food and have trees for habitat.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Birds are amazing. I have some pictures of birds I need to put on my blog.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

That's kind of neat that you're getting surprise visit from feathery friends. :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Grandma Nina said...

Hi Becky,
I just love watching the birds that come to my feeders on my back deck. All winter I have my two cardinals visit twice a day. Haven't seen them for a while now. Now I have blue birds coming.