Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Good Shepherd


My husband and I have been working with the children at church again. We are in a different Sunday School set up where all the children go to different stations each Sunday with their specific age group. Preschoolers, kindergarten and 1st graders, 2nd and 3rd graders, 4th and 5th graders. By far, the preschoolers group have the most children. We had 20 last week when their group visited our Bible story group. Our theme this month is The Good Shepherd and the scripture is Psalm 23. We've been talking about what shepherds do for their sheep and what sheep are like. I have printed up a photo of sheep I took this February when I was visiting my childhood houses. I also have told them how I took care of lambs after they were born and sometimes there was not enough milk for lamb, or the mother had died or there were twins and mom didn't want one of them...a few of the possibilities there. My dad would bring these little lambs into the laundry room of our house. I would feed them by a pop bottle and nipple some milk supplement. They were my babies. Sometimes there was only one other times two. It was warm in the house and they were in a box with a blanket. I'd feed them in the morning and evening for a day or so. They'd go back out to the flock of sheep and would get more milk, or not. Once in awhile they would die, which made me sad. But I did what I could to help them. The Lord is our shepherd and He cares for us. He is the best example of a good shepherd.

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want,
He make me lie down in green pastures,
And leads me beside still waters;
He restores my soul, He leads me in right paths
For His name sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley
I fear no evil for you are with me;
Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You spread a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the
days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


No comments: