Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fun Finds

A few weeks ago I visited a newly opened store that sells some new and used (mostly) items. I met the owner at the hardware store where  I work. Steven told me that his store had just opened and I didn't even know he had one.  He told me where it was so I ventured in one day. I love old stuff and saw these two items I couldn't leave without. 

We aren't certain what the jar was used for. It didn't have a lid. There was a smaller version in pint size. I got the bigger one since it called to me.  Not sure why there is a blank front. Possibly for a label. But for what? Pickles, mayonnaise, candy, tomato  or spaghetti sauce, olives, pickled eggs?   I need to research it sometime. Anybody care to take a guess?    The Pyrex mixing bowl is so retro that I needed it in my collection of non plastic bowls.  Was going to give it away but decided it could nest nicely into other bowls I have. I used it the other day to mash up some bananas for .....banana bread that I made Sunday evening. I feel the need to get rid of Tupperware bowls. Glass and pottery are much nicer.

Looking down inside the jar.  A different view indeed.  I know I should be downsizing but there are times when it's just fun to look at items from the past and some are useful enough to bring home with me.  Today I decided to purchase a DVD set of Mary Poppins. It's an older movie but a classic that both my husband and I remember. I want our grandchildren to see it and enjoy it as well. Good story and music and dancing!  Life before computers, cell phones and even television and microwave ovens.   Oh.my.goodness!    

**********************


On a different note, today was flag day.  Not even knowing it was flag day, I donned an Old Navy Flag shirt and some flag earrings and wore them to work.  A man commented on my attire when I got there....something about it being flag day.  Oh, gee, I didn't even think of it and was just pursuing the tshirts to wear real quick and grabbed this one. Good choice, I guess. One man said it was his birthday as well. I remembered then that I have a friend whose birthday is today as well. Marge served in the Coast Guard during WWII as a SPAR.  She was one of the few people that got me interested in the military.   For that I am truly thankful....because of the work I did in the Air Force, the people I met, including my husband and many lessons in life I learned along the way. It helped make the woman I am today, along with God's help.

God bless America!  May our red, white and blue flag wave in our land forever.  Land of the free and the home of the brave.  Don't tread on US!


3 comments:

aimee said...

Love the pretty pyrex bowl! I prefer glass/pottery to plastic too, although I still have a few large plastic bowls.
We drove through a town yesterday where they had placed a lot of flags downtown. It was very pretty!
God bless you,
Aimee
PS: I'm decluttering/downsizing at our house too. As I sort through stuff, I am sometimes very shocked at what I have kept...stuff I haven't used in years. Still I have to force myself to place it in the garbage. Go figure:)

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

I also like glass and pottery over plastic too :o) Great finds :o)

I have been out of the blogging loop, but am catching up on some of my blogs that are on my sidebar :o)

I hope you get a chance to stop by again. Thank you for always visiting! :o)

Blessings & Aloha!

Laury said...

I love finding treasures like that. I'm volunteering at a thrift store this summer. The owner is a Christian and it's very apparent to all who come in. It's so much fun to work there. I'm LOVING it!

Also, thank you for your service to our country, Becky! <3