Tuesday, July 3, 2012

4th of July 2012

These photos were taken the evening of Memorial Day 2012. I thought the colors were appropriate for 4th of July.
Celebrating the colors of the day...the US flag, flying in  American breeze under a freedom sky of blue with white clouds. 

A tombstone that caught my eye as I was leaving the cemetery.  I put the car in reverse, thankful nobody was coming. I needed a photo of this World War veteran's tombstone.  He joined the military in 1915 (a year before my dad was born.) Possibly lived close to where we live.  I thank him and others that fought for our country in the years past and those who are in uniform today.  We owe you alot for our freedom! A mere thanks seems inadequate.

   I wanted to include a portion of a writing I found on the internet. My pastor was talking about freedom at church on Sunday. He spoke of John Adams and what he felt about celebrating America, at the very beginning.  It is very appropriate today as well. Lest we forget what we have! There is a link as well so feel free to read the remainder of the writing compiled by James Heintze. (Used with permisson.)

John Adams' famous letter of July 3, 1776, in which he wrote to his wife Abigail what his thoughts were about celebrating the Fourth of July is found on various web sites but is usually incorrectly quoted. Following is the exact text from his letter with his original spellings:
The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not. (The Book of Abigail and John: Selected Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784, Harvard University Press, 1975, 142).
 Writing that letter was an act of celebration.


Have a great 4th of July!! God bless America and all her people within!  

2 comments:

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Thank you for sharing your photos and the letter written by John Adams. How neat to read what he had written about this day we do celebrate of our nation!

Blessings & Aloha!
Thank you also for your visit :o)

Camille said...

What a beautiful and insightful quote Becky! Thank you for sharing. Yes, indeed...may God bless America and may HE bring the people's hearts in line with HIS!

Blessings to you!
Camille