Monday, November 12, 2012

Veterans Day 2012

We honor our military Veterans of all branches this weekend....Army,Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard.  Thanks for all of the men and women that have served America in the past and those who serve now. I know some who have gone before us that paved our way into the military. Life has changed but war seems to be around for centuries. It undoubtedly will be til the end of time.       We appreciate all our military has done. Thanks to all of you veterans and active duty and reserve units that are reading this today.
Since both Phil and I are veterans we decided to go to Applebee's for lunch after church yesterday. We enjoy their food and that they honor veterans and active duty military on Veterans Day. A few other restaurants stepped up to the plate this year as well. Phil and Megan went to Denny's today for their free all you can eat pancakes for veterans. I didn't go as I didn't feel like eating that much this a.m. before I went to work. But Phil wound up bringing home 2 pancakes and I will have them tomorrow a.m. for my breakfast. What a plan!  Thanks to all the restaurants that honored Veterans this week! Much appreciated!


Here's our delicious food....I had 3 cheese penne with chicken and alfredo sauce while Phil had crunchy shrimp, fries and coleslaw.   We also got 2 different dessert shooters for dessert, which we paid for and the drinks as well. The shooters are just a small portion of dessert that fits the tummy when it's full. I had a chocolate one with oreos on top. The chocolate was so good! Phil had a strawberry cheesecake one. Oh....we were so full when we were finished but happy too!



When we got home a couple hours later, I poured myself some iced tea into this glass that belongs to Megan. I knew she wouldn't mind. Besides she wasn't home to stop me! I was thirsty after shopping a bit for groceries at Trader Joe's, a couple blocks from the restaurant. I thought since we were close then I wouldn't have to come up next week.  Then down to Costco to get gas in my car that was close to empty from last week's trip home from WA. Went inside to see what prices were on a turkey. Scored one at 99 cents a lb. Got a 22 lb one since we are having quite a few people here for thanksgiving dinner.  Also looked around and got a few other things and prices on items I've thought about getting. I don't go to Costco since Phil works close to there so stops in and picks up what we need once a week. He enjoys eating the sausage for lunch once a week.

Recently I found some photos of F-4s while looking for memoribila for our 35 Wedding Anniversary.  This is one that's actually landing at the base we were at in England. (RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge).  The map below shows the area where we worked and lived.  What memories that brings to mind.  The base was situated close to Woodbridge...lots of green in the area because of the Rendlsham forest.  We lived down in Felixstowe after we were married.

It was interesting to see the map again. I remember those roads well. I'd love to see that area again. Time will tell if we will ever see England with our own eyes again.
This is the Fighter Wing patch we had overseas. Both Phil and I were at the same base when we met. Have a great week and thanks for stopping by. Share your military memories on the comments. I'd enjoy hearing from you! Hugs!Blessings!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Well, I think I owe you and your family many thanks on this Veteran's Day! Your photos are so cute of you eating your meals. I had no idea that restaurants honored Veterans! I do hope you get back to England some day. So many happy memories for you! My Dear Father was Army/Airforce when it was one branch of the military and my son-in-law was a Marine and now National Guard. We can never thank you enough for your service. xx

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

thank you for all your service. And thank you for your sweet words of encouragement. Thank you also for your gift of the CD. I havent have had a chance to listen to it yet, but I have it in my basket and am waiting for a quiet moment. Oh, and we are moving on Dec 8th. Haven't sold the house yet but we have a bite on it. The people in the house we want made an offer we couldn't refuse. So we took the big plunge and decided to move!

Blessings,
Stacie

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Happy belated Veteran's Day, Becky! Tell your husband the same. We so appreciate you and your support of all veterans. I sure hope you get to go visit England again where you and your hubby lived. That would be awesome! I didn't know Denny's did that for Veteran's. We just might have to go next year. That is so great!

Jan said...

That is wonderful that the restaurants honor Veterans on Remembrance Day (or Veterans Day)... glad you enjoyed your meals so much... and a little dessert is a good idea!
Hugs and Blessings,
Jan

Camille said...

So much we have to be thankful for! Thank you to both you and your husband, Becky, for your service to your country. What rich blessings we have been given in North America! May God lead us all ever unto Himself.

Blessings to you!
Camille