Sunday, February 17, 2013

All the Trees are Gone!

Remember this tree? I shared this photo with you in 2011. Love the pretty pink buds on this tree. But I will see this one no more nor its friends that stood by it. WHY?  Our town is getting work done on it's interchange. Outlet mall traffic combined with the dragstrip traffic in summer and other events leads to back up. So ODOT has finally set a date for work.

Preliminary work has started. The trees in two medians are G.O.N.E.  Two were quite old as well. Probably older than me. These trees have been here since we've lived here for 23 years. It's sad to see them go. In the name of progress. Not sure what they are doing after this. More lanes? Oh well....must live with it but not too pleased since we live here and am not moving!  It reminded me of the song that says...all the trees are gone and the sky is grey.....but then I remembered it was all the leaves are brown. But in this instance, they are gone. I'm not a tree hugger by any means but enjoyed the trees when they were there. Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

7 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so sorry, Becky, that the pretty trees that you enjoyed so much are gone! Doesn't it just break your heart to see these things happen? It happens all the time. Across from my post office was this magnificent mulberry tree. It must have been as old as my town and every spring it bloomed - all 100 ft. of it, with beautiful pink blossoms. But the homeowner sold the house to build condo units and down came that tree. I cried when I saw it. I guess we are just sentimental fools, but surely they could find ways to save some of these beautiful trees. We will have to plant some new ones in their honor, I guess. I always donate to the Arbor Day Foundation and that helps me feel better. Hugs, Karen xoxo

Kathy said...

The house in back of me had such beautiful trees -- apple, peach, maple. When the owners died, their family sold it to a developer who came in with a backhoe and took down everything in their yard -- trees, rosebushes, flowers. It's just a huge bare place now. It's so sad to see the trees come down. I don't know why more people don't appreciate them. That is why I am growing a crepe myrtle tree to put in my yard this year.

aimee said...

Sigh...reminds me a bit of the lyrics to Big Yellow Taxi. I sometimes HATE "progress"...
especially when it involves cutting down trees with pretty pink blossoms:(
Was by your way this past weekend..
Blessings,
Aimee

Grandma Becky said...

Aimee, it would have been great to see you but I was sick all weekend. which meant I didn't make a cake! Oh well....maybe next time.
Thanks for all the comments on the trees being torn down. Some on the other side of interstate are going as well and a few buildings are gone or going in the name of progress! Sigh!

Erin said...

Aw! I will miss seeing them when we come for visits. I always thought they were so pretty and gave the neighborhood a cozy feeling.

Grandma Becky said...

There will still be a few trees in the median after the stop sign. Don't know if those are affected or not. So far so good...the tree cutters/choppers have moved on!

BerryMorins Bits & Tips said...

I love the photos. Looks like everyone had a wonderful time.