Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sunset on trip, now it's memories

My short work week is over. I have been home for 6 days from trip to Nicaragua. It was an adventure that I will never forget. Many good things happened. Interesting country but not sure I could live there. I got to eat some delicious foods, like fresh coconut, fresh mango, papaya pancakes and eggs in the mornings at the mission, roasted Igquana, cold showers that felt good later in the day (even though I started to sweat after I toweled dry.)  I felt God in this foreign country, especially when I was worshiping on Sunday in our "sister" church.  I felt Him in the hugs from children, hands held by older women at the mission and when I went house visiting (with interpreter) later in my trip. Now that my week is over, I still am processing how much more sleep I need to get me really feeling less tired. Maybe being hypothyroid doesn't help in this case either.  Processing the day to day happenings of the trip. My God sized dream. He helped me realize this dream, by giving me an extra day a week, (since a co-worker left a yr ago Dec and my boss wanted me to fill the void.)  He kept me calm when the van broke and gave me the opportunity to see one beautiful sunrise of blazing red sun over Lake Managua on our way to the airport. If we'd been on time, I would have missed it. So there are good things that come from the not good happenings. I hope that I blessed people along the way as they blessed me as well. Eyes wide open and surprises for sure. So as the sun sets here in Oregon, I will close with a scripture verse that works well with the trip I was on. Psalm 90 was read at church. The very last part is great!!   "Let Your work appear to Your servants, And Your glory to their children. And the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us. And establish the work of our hands for us; Yes, establish the work of our hands." (vs 16-17, NKJV)       (photo is of young men playing soccer at the mission. When ball got out of bounds when I was there, I'd throw or kick the ball back to them. They even asked me to play but I declined! Volleyball would have been a different story though since I've played that! )   Have a good evening.

4 comments:

Karen Frost said...

It sounds like a successful trip and an inspirational one too, Becky! I have never been South of the Border except for brief trips to Nogales when we lived in Tucson, but I do know how lovely it is with many, many needs. You are an Angel for helping out with God's work and I look forward to seeing your photos. xx

Camille said...

Beautiful Becky. What a blessing that you were able to take that trip and touch some lives. God is Good to us, isn't He?

Blessings to you!
Camille

aimee said...

Welcome home Becky! I am SO happy that God granted you one of the desires of your heart...one that I am sure He placed there in the beginning:) And now, I just have to know...what does iguana taste like?
Have a blessed Mother's Day!
Blessings, Aimee

Grandma Becky said...

Aimee, Iguana tastes like chicken, really!
Thanks for all your kind comments. It definitely was a trip of a life time.