Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy 2014 Happenings!


'Twas afternoon prior to New Year's day. My daughter and I went to Keizer Station for our last shopping of the year! I got off early from work, since hardware store closed at 2 PM. I did a couple errands then came home and picked up Megan. We went to Bed,Bath and Beyond for a few things I needed since my coupons were about to expire. Then over to World Market for a few things. Both of those stores had a shower curtain I liked but 1)neither were in stock & 2) I decided to wait til another time. It's a want not a need. Will see! These 2 or 3 trees are so pretty light up in the parking lot.

Then we went into Old Navy, Megan's fav store. These cheery "people" were standing there to greet us! Megan didn't find anything that she liked or fit her. I found a cute item for my grandson's 3rd birthday.

Other goal was to eat out since Phil was working late and eating out as well, but not with us, different location/direction.  We ate at Panera. {Taco del Mar was closed, where Megan wanted to eat.} This was so delish!  We both had same type sandwich, I got a mushroom soup, which was good but probably won't eat again. Megan had a salad. We both got a dessert for 99 cents since we got a half sandwich, soup/salad and drink. Total was $20!!! Not bad for a filling meal. Our last meal of 2013!

This is the banner on window by our table at Panera.  Yes, we were filled! Happy and ready to go home.

New Year's day, Megan made some Mamie's tea cakes, from her Trisha Yearwood cookbook. I gave her hands on instruction of cookie cutters 101. She's not made them often and she was having some problems. So a bit of help and she did ok. She commented how easy it looks on Trisha's show but Megan was having problems. "They need to show some out takes of problems in the kitchen, instead of everything being perfect."  {Like Cupcake Wars?}

Cookies all ready for the oven. She passed!

Don't these look delicious? They are like sugar cookies, with a southern flair. Next time these need to get frosted with icing. She ran out of time, I did as well this afternoon. But they are still pretty good!

I cooked our turkey this afternoon. I'd thought about that some yesterday while at work. Other people seemed to be making delicous meals. Um, what should I make? What do I have in the freezer? Um....oh yeah, the turkey I didn't make for Christmas as I hadn't been feeling too well then. A customer came in a couple times to get something for his Traeger grill. Second time, when buying a bag of pellets, he showed us, on his iPhone, the whole pig he was roasting.

Cleaning up was challenging. Granted Megan cleaned up some stuff before she left to go to her friends' {with teacakes}, most of it was left to me. Phil did carve the turkey and make the dressing!  It's done now so I'm feeling good!  The sifter is one Megan found at World Market yesterday. She didn't use it today but got it for some recipes in the cookbook. But I needed to wash it up. We don't have a sifter. Again, a 'southern thing'? 

My rendition of 2014! M&Ms on teacakes! Happy New Year my friends and thanks for reading my blog, posting comments, encouraging me and maybe I'll meet some of you this year in my wanderings with my camera!  I'm excited to have 3 new followers in the past few weeks. Thank you for following me. Maybe I should do a giveaway when I reach 100 active followers. Will see!  Hugs, prayers and blessings!
"Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever."  Psalm 136:1

"How good it is to thank the Lord;
And praise to Thee, Most High, accord.
To show Thy love with morning light,
And tell Thy faithfulness each night!"--Psalter
(Our Daily Bread, Jan 1,2014)


4 comments:

Camille said...

Happy New Year to you and your family my friend! Thank you for stopping by at *my place*, Becky. Sorry to read that you were not feeling well over Christmas. What a blessing that you were able to get in some last minute shopping with coupons and do some special things with Megan. May the Lord bless you all in 2014! Hugs to you! Camille

aimee said...

Love the sifter--much, much cuter than mine:)
The teacakes turned out well. I am looking forward to making some treats this next week--but first a big meal for Epiphany.
I will miss the lights of Christmas, but am already looking forward to Valentine's Day and all the celebrations to follow:)
Blessings,
Aimee

Simone Dankenbring said...

The cookies look so delicious! Thank you for stopping by to visit my blog. Hope you have a wonderful new year!!

Kathy said...

So sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. Hope all is better now.

Your tea cakes look lovely. Wish I could have one.

Love the sifter. I've seen them before but never owned (or used) one.