Monday, January 27, 2014

One December Sunday

I have always enjoyed visiting the Settlemier house in Woodburn. It's open the first Sunday of every month. I especially like going in December. It's decorated for Christmas. So Megan and I ventured into our favorite old house.


Megan sits at the piano. Years ago we were able to actually play it when there was Christmas caroling time, open house, a few people singing. I remember when all of us did that. But they don't do that any more!


Here's a handwritten order written by Jesse Settlemier.

Beautiful family photo, with Jesse seated in front on the left, by a family member. Not sure who everyone is. Of course it's in front of the house. If I remember right, this house was moved to it's current position. Old location a few blocks away.



Becky in the kitchen.

Prescription any one?

Downstairs, here's the coal furnace that heated the house. A spinning wheel.

Downstairs back door.

Lace curtains in the window of the living room on the main floor.

Living decorated for Christmas. They don't decorate as much as they used to. Used to have stockings hung on the fireplace mantel and candles on the mantle.  I guess there's less volunteers to help. I've often thought about helping but never seems enough time.

Window on the landing on the stairs that goes  upstairs/downstairs. I love this hand crocheted curtain. I remember years ago we were able to go into the attic. One of the two times we went, the kids just laughed as there mannequin parts in a closet. "Excess body parts!", they said! We still remember that!


Hand crocheted doily on an upstairs table.

Going to a wedding.

The dress in photo above was worn by this bride in the photo. The old time photos with the colors were so different and beautiful.

Party dresses in a closet!

Front room upstairs, above the living room.

Upstairs window, by the stairs that go down into the entry hall of the house. To the right of it is a door that goes onto the wrap around balcony.

Turn around from that window, walk over to the closet of mourning!

Carpet of the upstairs hallway.

Going downstairs.

Hurricane lantern on a lace table cloth with lace curtains behind it.

Dining room with places set for a dinner.

Hanging lights and the china cabinet.

A peek through the glass doors to the Christmas tree in the living room. I finally succeeded in getting a good photo of this. I've tried for a few years and it came through perseverance! One more time!

Grand ol' house. It's stood the test of time. If only the walls could talk! I hope you enjoyed the tour!

6 comments:

Betsy said...

Oh Becky I loved this tour! There was an old house in Council Bluffs, Iowa that I used to visit every year when we lived back there. I think it was called the Dodge house but it's been so long I'm not sure. I so enjoy looking at the homes still decorated in the way that people lived years ago. Thank you so much for taking me along with you. Maybe someday we can go together. Woodburn isn't far from Portland is it? (I need some geography lessons.)
Blessings,
Betsy

Beatrice Euphemie said...

What a beautiful old house! I love taking this tour with you - the lovely old woodwork, kitchen and everyday things that were so modern for the times. It's wonderful that it has been preserved for future generations to enjoy. Love the shot of the Christmas tree through the french doors.:) Thank you for taking us along, Becky! Hugs xo Karen

Jan said...

A lovely place to spend an afternoon, to see the exquisite lace, and all that beautiful timber etc.
Blessings.

Camille said...

SO beautiful! I *love* going into old houses...they hold such charm. Yes, indeed...if only the walls could talk!! That staircase was amazing....the workmanship in those days surely has stood the test of time. Thank you for sharing with us here. :) Many Blessings, Camille

Kathy said...

I love looking at old houses and imagining them full of people, laughter, everyday lives. Even though I like that history is preserved it sometimes makes me sad that no one lives in them anymore making them come "alive".

Thanks for taking us through this house. It is beautiful!

aimee said...

I love historic homes, so you know I LOVED this post! I occasionally wander by the lovely Settlemier home in my never-ending road trips, but have never gone in. Someday I will have to stop and see it from the inside!
Love all the lace!
Blessings,
Aimee