Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Celebrating My Birthday

It was a day before my birthday when all of a sudden, my daughter brought me a present! She didn't know where to stash it. I love it. I'm looking forward to getting some plants in this box!! Sweet! Locally made as well!
My birthday was in mid February.  Phil and I went out for the day. I was off that day so I thought we'd have a fun day out. Our original plan was to eat lunch at Multnomah Falls that day. But there was an avalanche that closed down parts of I-84. So this was plan B.  We weren't displeased.  We went to Bob's Red Mill  in Milwaukie. There's a tour that starts at 10 a.m. every day except Sunday.  We watched a video then got to see the production of flours, mixes that are sold world wide.

This is a display of many mixes that are available. There's a good selection of gluten free mixes and flours as well. Those are produced in a separate building so there's no dust from something that has gluten in it.


After the tour, we went a mile away to Bob's Red Mill Restaurant and store and bakery for lunch. They were celebrating Bob's 85th birthday so I had to get a picture of us together. I told him it was my birthday as well. His actual birthday was a couple days later. He gave me a good hug! {This cake wasn't edible, even though it looked like it! I tried to touch the icing but Phil said no! }

We were waiting for our lunch to arrive. Our number was 88 but Phil put it sideways which stands for infinity.  Here's our lunch and notice a piece of chocolate cake from Bob's celebration. I made sure I snagged one as they came around. Must have chocolate cake! Our lunch was so filling that we could only eat half of it. I have onion biscuits that I bought later. Scooped them up since they were on discount rack. Never know if someone else would scoop them up. They were delicious {much later!}

Everyone sang Happy Birthday to Bob. Then there were messages from some of the workers that were shared. It was a fun time! He also went upstairs and played a couple pieces on the piano. There was a band as well.  Loved it!

Granite mill stones, c. 1880, from France outside the building.



We weren't quite sure about these signs. I'm thinking it had to do with parking and visibility in the area. We had to walk 1/2 mile to the restaurant/store/bakery. Parked in a business' parking lot and they said it was ok to park there. "That place it always busy," replied the receptionist. That's a good thing, I guess!
Canadian geese couple didn't mind me taking their photo. There were quite a few in a flock in one spot, but I didn't get a chance to photograph them.

When we got home, Phil brought out an ice cream cake he got me. I wasn't really hungry but he wanted to celebrate before Megan had to go to work. It was very good! Almost like Oreo cookies. Yummy!



Here's the goodies I bought. My veggie roll, gluten free brownie mix, brown rice flour, oat bran muffin mix {which I gave to my sister}, gluten free honey oat granola, and gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix. I'm trying out a few gluten free products for snacking. I'm not going gluten free completely but I've found that eating gluten free items through the week has helped me lose a little weight.  I also bought a scrubby and a hot pad. I could have bought more since there was so much to offer. We did get 3 samples each after our tour. Some of it is long gone. Still working on the mighty good breakfast cereal that's gluten free. I made too much of it one Sat. a.m. so I gave the other half of it to Megan. She liked it! We are trying to eat a bit healthier for various reasons. None of us are getting any younger! It was a good day! Then I think we went shopping for a watch for me!  Cool!  Thanks for stopping by~I'm enjoying the comments you all leave. 

{Did you notice the translate on the top right of my blog, 
those of you who from other countries that read my blog?}
Take care and God bless you one and all!

5 comments:

Betsy said...

That sounds like a full day Becky! We have several February birthday girls. You, Taci, Gracie and me! The landslide that kept you from Multnomah Falls is the same one that delayed my drive home. More time with Piper. Yeah! I didn't realize that Bob's Red Mill was in the Portland area. Chocolate cake and ice cream cake all in one day. You scored big time as the kids would say!
Blessings,
Betsy

Linda W. said...

Happy belated birthday! Love your new header photo. I need to get myself up to Woodburn before all the tulips are done blooming.

aimee said...

I LOVE Bob's Red Mill and Bob is great! We were blessed to meet him one of the times we visited there! I have eaten at the Mill before (grits---yum!) but I am not sure if I realized there was another place associated with the Mill.
Your cake looks yummy--and great gift from your daughter!
Love the tulips---was just thinking about them this past week when our granddaughter was over.
Blessings,
Aimee

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Looks like a very nice birthday celebration, Becky, even if you didn't get to go to the falls. The mill looks like a fun place to visit and how fun that 'Bob' was celebrating his birthday, too! Love your garden tote from your daughter and that oreo cake looks awfully good. I love going on those little tours. Happy belated birthday! xo Karen

Kathy said...

A late happy birthday, Becky! Sorry I am so behind on my blog reading, but the wishes are just as sincere. I love that you went to Bob's Red Mill. I have seen his products in our local stores, but didn't know he was an actual person. How neat! I wish I could have gone with you because it sounds just wonderful!

I have been thinking of going gluten free because I think it might be healthier. I am going to try some of the products and see how I do.