Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday


"When they had platted a crown of thorns they put it upon His Head."  Matthew 27:29

O Sacred Head, Now Wounded

O sacred Head, now wounded,
With grief and shame weighed down,
Now scornfully surrounded, with thorns,
Thy only crown,
How art Thou pale with anguish, 
With sore abuse and scorn!
How does that visage languish
Which once was bright as morn!

What Thou, my Lord, hast suffered
Was all for sinners' gain;
Mine, mine was the trangression,
But Thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall my Savior!
'Tis I deserve Thy place'
Look on me with Thy favor,
Vouch-safe to  my Thy grace.

What language shall I borrow
To thank Thee, dearest friend,
For this Thy dying sorrow,
Thy pity without end?
O make me Thine forever,
And, should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never,
Out-live my love for Thee.

--written by Hans Leo Hassler

(Photo taken at St. John the Apostle Cemetery in Oregon City, OR)

The hymn above it one I have song years ago. It seems to fit with the day we recognize as Good Friday, the day our Lord Jesus was hung upon a cross and died for all mankind. 

Have a blessed weekend, my friends!

6 comments:

Betsy said...

Amen and Amen! Thank you for this beautiful reminder Becky.
Blessings,
Betsy

Lorrie Cox said...

Love the song and picture!!!

Janet Coffield said...

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful! :) Happy Easter to all...

elizabeth said...

Blessed Easter to you, Becky! Christ is risen!
I'm your neighbor at Deidra's this weekend.

caryjo said...

Gorgeous...and I would love to see it. The words and the photo were truly heart grabbing. Thank you much!

Kathy said...

One of my favorite hymns. Thanks for this post.