Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Bittersweet Weekend


Over the weekend we buried our mom's ashes alongside our dad.He's been gone for years.  It was a bright day, but there was a chill in the air. One final item to finish. She died in the summer and we couldn't bury then. The ground was hard as cement. The rains came and November was a good time to do it. I bought mini carnations to put by the grave stone of mom and dad. Miss them. It is weird how I miss dad a bit more now that mom is gone as well.   Tears, hugs, photo, memories we will hold in our hearts forever.  It's still hard to believe she is gone from this earth. But I read, later that night, about the promise we have of heaven, in Romans 8. It was one of mom's favorite scripture passages.  It was a reminder that we aren't home yet, our roots are not here on this earth.  I had thought of this (burial) day all week. It was sad. I made it through better than I expected.  Sunday seemed to be a bit harder. A couple songs at church brought tears to my eyes and my heart felt broken. But I also sensed God's presence. My parents were Christians and taught us about God and we are believers as well. It is the best legacy ever. 
Here's the mug I used at lunch for my hot tea. There had been a chilly breeze blowing at the cemetery. So I felt I needed hot liquid inside me. It tasted so good. With my mushroom and swiss cheese hamburger. I shared the meal with my husband, sister and brother. It was relaxing meal, a time to reflect, talk and get re-engergized for the drive back home.
Later afternoon, I boiled eggs. Our church's harvest dinner (big thanksgiving style dinner) was the next day. This was simple enough to make. 15 eggs a boiling. I thought they looked like little white clouds floating around in the pan!
Megan helped me finish the angelic eggs after dinner ( we don't call them deviled eggs at our house.) I mixed mayonnaise, yellow mustard, salt and Mrs Dash seasoning til it tasted just right. Then I spooned the yolk mixture into a ziploc bag. Cut one corner off...Megan filled the egg whites.  Quicker than spooning it in the eggs and less mess!  Packed the eggs up in a disposable aluminum pan, lined with wax paper and placed the lid on it and refrigerated them til next a.m.  They didn't last long at the dinner. I didn't even get one, since I was helping bring dishes to the table with food on it. Oh well, we'd eaten a portion of one on Sat. since it was broken!!! It was a good day, with a bit of tears. But then there was church and fellowship afterwards....food, sharing conversation with friends. A walk later to work off some of the calories we ate.-----Now it's mid week. Next week is Thanksgiving. I'm planning our meal out...need to pick up the turkey late this week. Crowds are gonna be big later next week. Just having our children and grandchildren with us. Which is special!  Take care, my friends!


7 comments:

Linda W. said...

That must've been hard to finally lay your mother to rest. Sending good thoughts and hugs your way. :)

Betsy said...

Oh Becky, I know that was a hard final thing to do for your Mom. I still miss my mom and she's been gone 25 years now. But to know where she and your Dad are, what a blessing.

Your eggs look delicious. We had our Thanksgiving dinner at church last Sunday too. So yummy.
Blessings,
Betsy

Kathy said...

Both of my parents are with the Lord, so I know how hard this is for you. Hugs and prayers are being sent your way. We never stop missing those who have gone before, but we have a blessed hope that we will see them again.

Beatrice Euphemie said...

It is so hard saying goodbye, isn't it? It makes you have so many emotions, memories, and thoughts about the legacy they left behind. Mine have been gone 3 years now and I still think of them every day. Miss those big family dinners and the laughter we shared. Now it is time for us to carry on the legacy of their lives - an important mission to keep their memories alive. It's nice to have fellowship and family to help you through. Sending love and hugs xo Karen

aimee said...

God bless and comfort you in the days to come Becky. It helps to have the assurance that they are both in heaven and that this is not the end.
Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving.
Blessings, Aimee

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I love it - "Angelic Eggs"! Never heard that before. What a shame you didn't get one though. I'm glad you were able to lay your mother to rest beside your daddy. Thank you for the well wishes for our growing family. Happy Thanksgiving!

Gracie Saylor said...

Becky, am just now catching up with your posts and I appreciate so much the many feelings you are having in this time. My parents and husband have left the same legacy as your folks and I so appreciate it even though I have missed them here on earth for more than five years. This transition is difficult, but I am so grateful for God's presence that is a foundation of peace for me and you. Knowing the Father's plan to bring us together in heaven. and Jesus' compassion for us demonstrated as he cried for His dear friend Lazarus' death even knowing Lazarus would be resurrected, and then Jesus' promise that He would not leave us as orphans, but was going to prepare many heavenly homes for Believers to live in forever...unto ages of ages, and sending the Holy Spirit Comforter to Believers is a firm foundation of comfort and hope for us. xx