Sunday, February 22, 2015

Minding our Marriage

Marriage Seminars have many ways of helping us in life.  In our marriage. In our personal life. Phil and I attended one yesterday at the Oregon Christian Convention conference and retreat center, in Turner, OR.  It was a planned day out and it was interesting.  Dr. Paul Alexander, a college administrator, ordained pastor and licensed marriage and family therapist,  led the seminar. It was a great Biblical perspective of marriage.  How we saw our parents marriage....what we took away from that .......God's picture of marriage....(Ephesians 5:21-33).....myths and truths of marriage...(myths being the American model, instead of Biblical model. Myths show selfishness. Christ shapes us to be more like Him. Rely on Christ to fulfill us.) ....Communication....(just touching some of the points discussed)...By the end of the session right before lunch, I had been touched by God. I'd been struggling in my heart the past few days....praying that God would help me through the days when I have been tired, my mind not fixed where it should be in Him.  Been dealing with pain of a tooth that should have a crown by now. But the crown wasn't right on Friday, at the dentist.  I was dealing with that struggle as well. (crown will be fixed and ready for me Tue a.m.!!)  Life gets to us. So thankful to sense His love in my life at this conference. And my husband's as well.  We were to fill in the blanks about how God looks at us...feels and thinks about us. In return, when God looks as Me, I see, I feel, I think......"Many of our marriages are stretched thin because we are trying to deify our spouses to provide for us things that they are never intended to supply. Many of us identify with God as critical parent, distant relative, missing spouse, police officer, or...so we put our spouse in place of God. The problem is that we can make pretty good spouses if we work at it, but we make lousy Gods. (taken from David Seamand's book, Healing for Damaged Emotions.)"(from our handout).  Interesting to think on these things....and feel God's love in our daily walk together.  How we see God's perspective and how we feel He sees us,  is good. If we are positive about those answers, it is the positive attitude we have in our relationship with our spouse and every one else. (our thoughts collectively).
"..but speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things in Him who is the head---Christ--- from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love. (Ephesians 4:15-16)...."And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another,  even as God in Christ has forgiven you." (Ephesians 4:32  NKJV)  

 Following Lisha...Give Me Grace

5 comments:

Betsy said...

It sounds as though there was much wisdom at your seminar. I'm Glad you and Phil were able to art tend...and I hope the crown is right next week. :-)
Blessings,
Betsy

caryjo said...

Your top photo of you and your hubby made me smile, laugh, rejoice. Chuckling re: what I've known in and around and about Washington and Oregon. I live in Omaha, but still try to be out there once a year to see family and friends since that's where I was born and spent around about until 45 years ago. But you made me just LAUGH! Thank you so much.

Gracie Saylor said...

Yesterday was forgiveness Sunday at St. Nicholas Orthodox Church in Portland. At the end of the service we went to each person in the congregation and bowed before them asking their forgiveness and then prayed together, "May God forgive us all." I have never started out the Lenten season this way before, and it was very meaningful to me. Then when I got home we had a family meeting in which we asked each other for forgiveness prompted by a disagreement we had the day before. Precious times! I am so glad you and Phil had a precious time with the Lord as well, and I hope that your tooth is soon happy. xx

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm so glad you got to go to that marriage seminar. Michael and have gone to some really good ones through the military that have changed our marriage in good ways. It is good to get a refresher course every now and then :)

Camille said...

It's so true that we cannot look to our spouse to be what they are not meant to be...only God can fill every void in our hearts. How precious it is to belong to HIM! Hugs to you! Camille