Sunday, March 22, 2015

Beauty in the Shadows



Day faded into evening light. It caught my eyes in the kitchen.  I stood there a couple minutes. Walked to the front door, opened it and stepped out.  Looking up---around at the trees. Helicopter flying over head, a train clattering away a mile away....a bird nagging. All the while, what was the feeling I had?  I watched a yellow leaf spin around and around on a tiny limb on the tree in our lawn. It kept spinning...spinning...afraid to let go? I continued to watch.    


What was the message?  I felt sad, maybe alone, even though my husband was home.  Hard to touch the reason. I listened to music on a CD "Be still my soul"  Yes God fill me. Right now!

I'd felt some grief lately. It was the month my mom would have celebrated her 91st birthday...if she was alive. No cards or gifts or party. But my soul was needy this day. I felt God amongst the dimming light of day, the dimming of my soul that needed refreshment.  Beauty in the shadows.



"Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it."  1 Thessalonians 5:23-24  (NKJV)     

(I found this writing that I wrote mid Oct 2014. My mom passed July 2014)

5 comments:

Gracie Saylor said...

Thanks for sharing your photos and narrative, Becky. I sometimes have that lonely-even-if-I'm-in-a-crowd feeling, too. Your thoughts remind me that in such a time, I can welcome that feeling as an invitation from The Lord to be still and know Him who never leaves me or forsakes me.

I am excited the verse you closed with is from
1Thes. 5. One of the verses our pastor quoted this morning was from 1Thes. 5. My youngest son poked me to bring my attention to it because during the last week he and I had been asking God what we should use for our family Bible study tonight and we ended up typing up our study outline from 1Thes. 5 ! :-)

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1Thes. 5:16-18 :-)

Betsy said...

A beautiful post today Becky. Yes, sometimes you can't put a name on those feelings, but God can always comfort your soul.
Blessings,
Betsy

Terri Tiffany said...

I love this. Sometimes I feel that same way--alone and God is the only one who can fill that need. Thank you for a great post!

aimee said...

I hear you Becky. Been there more than once. Love the promise at the end of the verse-He IS faithful.
Blessings, Aimee

Mereknits said...

That verse fits this post so perfectly. We all feel this way from time to time, especially around times that remind us of a loved one. Sending you a hug,
Meredith