Thursday, March 19, 2015

My Trip to Yard, Garden and Patio Show

Last Friday in February, I joined a group of people, mostly women, for a trek to the Convention Center in Portland. We met at the Garden Gallery in Hubbard where we gathered before our bus trip. Here is the line of people getting on board. We were given a bag with our lunch inside. The lunch was inside a cooler bag that we got to keep! It cost $40 for the whole ticket, bus ride and lunch! I didn't have to drive into Portland or find a parking spot. We were right by the door!!! Made a new friend and had a good day out!

Inside the convention center was this dragon boat hanging above the hall.

My ticket. It would have been $3 more if I'd bought it myself. These were bought months in advance!

Some fun ideas. This guy was nice but expensive!


What people do with welding and old cast off items.

Garden in raised cedar beds. I was talking with the vendor but he began talking with someone who he knew that left me out. That annoyed me and I didn't get my question answered.

I bought the small version of this plant. I'd seen it last year at another garden show but didn't get around to buying the smaller version elsewhere. It attracts hummingbirds.

Various hellebores in a shallow dish with water. This is lovely!

I bought the chocolate sign. I nearly bought the marriage sign as well but didn't want to spend that much money. My friend Anne and I went together and bought one each so we'd get a better deal from Sara. I will buy the other sign another time.


Here's what the sky looked like on our ride home from Portland. I continued to watch the beautiful sky throughout the trip home. There was so much to see that day and so many things I could have bought but didn't buy. I splurged and bought a Pepsi even though it was $3. I needed my caffeine fix for the day with delicious turkey sandwich we were provided. Chips and apple slices as well. The Provost bus ride was comfortable. Even sitting in the back!! I nearly took a nap!
My plants I bought. The bottom two are rex begonias. The taller one is abutilon red tiger. (like the one I talked about above). Flowers are striped orange/dark blooms and grows to 4 feet!!

These are air plants.This variety is called Tillandsia. Their leaves trap water in the air for nourishment. Since their roots don't feed them, there is no need for soil.  I love the color. One for me and one for my sis, who I would see the very next day. (She loved it...she'd thought about getting one, I "heard" the message!)  I put hers in a cute little bucket with glass gems inside to hold the plant up.   I also bought a telescoping bypass pruner. It is one that is medium weight and will help in pruning the rose bush and rhodies.  Megan actually used it a few weeks ago when she pruned the rose bush. She really liked it!   It was a fun day and felt inspired to garden soon.  =====  As for the wind storm I talked about in my last post, winds were 58 miles an hour. Cause was a low pressure area meeting with a high pressure area!!! It was felt quite a bit in most of Oregon!  We did not have much rain once the wind died down.

4 comments:

Betsy said...

That looks like it was a very fun day. The bus ride and not finding parking would have been worth the cost, but lunch too? That's quite a deal. You found some lovely bargains too.
Blessings,
Betsy

aimee said...

Looks interesting! I like raised beds and would use cedar if we were to do it all over again. Too bad the vendor didn't provide you good customer service. I like the Portland skyline--it's a pretty one!
Blessings, Aimee

Linda W. said...

Looks like you had a great outing into the big city! :)

Mereknits said...

It looks like a great place to visit.
Hugs,
Meredith