Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day Weekend 2015

Sunday was long but a happy Mother's Day for me even though plans changed a bit.  Phil was sick with a cold since Wed. He'd come home early from work on Thurs and was down for 3 days. Since we were teaching Sunday school again today, I thought it best he not share his germs by breathing down on the children.  I taught the class and Sam, a dad, was great at reading scripture.He helped me with the project as well...so thankful he was willing to help me out!! Phil stayed home but was feeling better and cooked spaghetti, our normal for Sunday lunch. {I'd already made the meat sauce as part of it last night. I'd served it over 4 cheese ravioli.} He served spaghetti with his version of garlic bread on buttermilk bread and toasted the bread. It was good and I loved his thoughtfulness.  Then we tried to "high tail" it to Oregon City to hear Jane Kirkpatrick speak at the End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center.......oh dear, the traffic was slow...will we make it on time??? It cleared up quickly at one spot and then it was fine all the way there with a few minutes to spare.  I grabbed these two books, one on the left is what Megan requested and other one is mine.  I always enjoy listening to Jane speak about how she comes about writing her books. I learned a few historical matters. She's always an inspiration to me and we've become friends, as I go to her events quite often. Usually once a year!  Phil came along with me but he decided to go into the museum and had a good time. He's a museum buff!! I will got sometime but it closed at 4 and I didn't want to pay admission for half an hour.


Since we had some time to spare before dinner, we drove into Canby and went to the community park to see the Molalla River. It was running low. Not a lot of water right now in the river as there's not been much rain. We sat and talked in the car awhile. I talked about what I learned from Jane about the book I purchased. Of course there was political items brought up from years past that was in this book.  Then we walked over to the other side of the park. Cottonwood fluff was everywhere, tis the season!  The pond always has Mallard ducks and there were a couple Canadian geese.  As we were looking for more ducks, we saw something swimming in the water......turned out to be two nutria. We've not seen them in awhile. They were fun to watch as well.  I took a selfie of us..{..never too good at that,} with the lake behind us. Phil wondered if you could spin cottonwood fluff and make it into something? That's what happens when you go to a museum!!!

We met up with Megan at Burgerville where she bought me dinner. {Original plan was lunch at Burgerville right after church since it was close to the museum but it didn't happen that way--long story short.}  I got a free strawberry sundae since it was Mother's day. Sundaes or shortcake were $1 for other people.  The three of us had a good time together.  It was a bittersweet day, especially leaving Canby since that's where mom lived for nearly eight years. I miss her, especially today. I've got a post started about her but it will have to wait....still thinking of what to write. Then we all came home and got some things done...and Megan and I watched "Call the Midwife". We love that show~and this time we both just cried.
*********************

Late Friday I made this chocolate cake to take to my friend Teresa's house on Sat.  We were having a get together with a few other ladies we've kept in touch with over the years. Sweet to talk with them while eating!  The cake is baked and then I make the frosting which then is poured over the cake right out of the oven.  The icing sets up fast. I actually had to push the sprinkles down a bit with a big spoon so they wouldn't go all over the place when I moved it.


Taco salad for lunch!! And cake for dessert! 
This lamp was adorable. There's an outdoor/fishing theme going on in the living room. Teresa and Ray have been in this house for 2.5 months. Shirley said it's like a house out of the HGTV show. It was nice. And I really liked the pantry....sigh! Oh well!!!! I can always dream!!
I like this calendar page for May that is hanging in their hallway. I like tea so I took a photo of it.


Here's their patio through the screen door. We went out there for a bit before we ate cake. 
*****************

A bit of scripture for your week:
"Whatever your task, work heartily, as serving the Lord and not men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward; you are serving the Lord Christ. For the wrongdoer will be paid back for the wrong he has done, and there is no partiality."  Colossians 3:23-25 RSV
 ********************
Be blessed and hope your day was special whether you are a mom or not! You all are special to me and God!!! Hugs!!!


6 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day, Mothers day here in the UK is March.

Linda W. said...

Happy Mother's Day! Glad you got to see your favorite author talk. Cute selfie of you and your hubby. :)

Mereknits said...

Becky it sounds like you had a really wonderful Mother's Day. That cake looks so yummy.
Hugs to you,
Meredith

Betsy said...

Goodness! You've had a busy week. Mother's Day sounds like it was busy, but fun too. I would have enjoyed listening to Jane speak too as I've read several of her books. The cake looks delicious. It's chocolate isn't it? Of course anything chocolate is delicious. :-) Have a lovely week Becky.
Blessings,
Betsy

Camille said...

Happy (belated) Mother's Day to you! So sorry you were missing your mom....bittersweet for sure! What a blessing your girl looked after you. Hugs, Camille

aimee said...

Thanks for mentioning Jane and her books. I checked her website and am really interested in reading her book about homesteading. Have you read that one before and, if so, what did you think of it? It sounds awesome!
Sorry to hear Phil has been ill. My DH caught my awful virus but fortunately came down with a MUCH milder case of it--thank you God!
I empathize with your bittersweet Mom's Day. I am glad your daughter and DH could be there with you.
Blessings, Aimee