Monday, May 4, 2015

My Thoughts, Notes, Photos of Faith & Culture Writers Conference 2015

 WORDS---are what I write.  I realized the Faith and Culture writers conference was the place I needed to be again this year. I attended it last year. Upon looking at the registration I felt the urge to attend again. The conference was held at Warner Pacific College in Portland, OR, April 10-11, 2015
The evening session was held in McGuire Auditorium. These stained glass windows above us were just beautiful! Stained glass is something I enjoy looking at whenever it is near me.  Being above me that weekend was just added more delight in my journey!  Music was led that evening and the following morning by Sunia Gibbs and singers and musicians. It was great to be in the presence of our God that weekend and people who loved to sing His praises. 


Theme of the conference was Rough Draft: From Blank to Beautiful.  I attended morning sessions that inspired me....Bob Welch, whose screen shot is above. He talked about how and why he wrote books. Realize our words matter. He had some that he didn't sell many of. Others he could have made money on. But it was more about the people that he was in contact with because of the books he'd written. Don't buy into the culture's idea of success. If we don't measure up to those standards, then we claim we are failures.  What is our real goal to writing a book or a magazine article or a blog post?  I liked that he quoted Hebrews 13:2 "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."  He shared a few stories that touched our hearts.....It's not about you. People come to hear what you have to say, when you have a speaking engagement.  How he touched an elderly lady's heart at an engagement.   Things to think on....Pray!  Recalibrate your goals, learn from the past and then look to the future (forget the past).  What's getting in your way? Be the pebble that sends ripples!

 Alia Joy and I were able to talk a bit after a session. Alia Joy was the one who told me last year about the conference.{I've followed her blog for awhile.}  I am so glad we connected. I attended the session she spoke on the Art of Truth Telling.  People pleasing and truth telling do not match.  Hardwired for self deception/self preservation.  All healthy relationships are truth.  .......so much to share here but the end  was ....be authentic. Make beautiful art to be heard. It's scary and hard. "Beauty will save the world." ( Dostoevsky). My mind was reeling by the time I'd finished two sessions. Thank goodness I took notes to review later.

Art station I wrote on.........there was painting going on as well, see photo above with the music...

Cornelia Seigneur, founding director and Velynn Brown, our emcee for the weekend. Amazingly funny, sweet Christian women that made the weekend enjoyable. Cornelia shared her story about the day that changed her life this past January. How she saw God protect her in the accident. Praising God she is still with us and inspiring us. Isaiah 50:4 "The Lord God has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him that is weary. Morning by morning he wakens, he wakens my ear to hear as those who are taught."      Other speakers I enjoyed were Tony Kriz...."Have I been the hero of the story (not a good thing).. Take the risk...(to write and share God/faith)"..(he's written 'ALOOF' and Neighbors and Wise Men {which I bought this year})...Emily Freeman.(wrote 3 books, latest Simple Tuesday --Aug 2015)...Romal Tune.....wrote God's Graffiti" Inspiring stories for Teen....shared his life and how is vastly changed when he started to believe...how he helps people now...blessing others, helping us here as well. We need to show people there is hope. Tell our story, show our scars, keep showing them the path they need to be healed.......oh wow!  And then there was Phil Long, spoken word poet.  I could go on......so many notes of speakers and emotions as I relive this weekend just now.  God blessed my heart through these few people I mentioned and others as well.  I feel compelled to continue writing and sharing my words along with my photographs here and send it with a click of the publish button many more times. I felt a common bond with these people, be it writing, our faith, eating together,telling our story....so much encouragement time at this writers conference. I am so thankful I attended and look forward to next year's conference. I appreciate all the work that went into this conference. Top notch in my book since it's close to where I live and I don't have to travel real far to listen to others tell their story and have a good time together!!

3 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

What a wonderful experience. I love the stained glass too, such a delight to see the light shining through.

Linda W. said...

Your photo of the stained glass windows is beautiful! Looks like it was a great conference and how wonderful to meet a blogger you admire!

Betsy said...

It sounds like you had a great time and I also love the stained glass. So glad we were able to meet last night. I had a good time.
Blessings,
Betsy