Saturday, June 20, 2015

Be Prepared


 Last Saturday evening I was sitting at the dining room table. Reading. The lights flickered. Then they went off. A/C went off. Really?  It was getting late and the sun was going down. I lit a couple candles. Megan called from the shower..."did the light go out in the other room?"  "Yes", I replied.  Oh great!  I busied myself and washed the dishes since it was getting darker by the minute. Some light coming from the kitchen window.  I was able to boil hot water for tea. Our cooking stove in gas but it has electronic switches. I used a long nosed lighter and turned on the gas and the flame came on!  An hour later, the electricity came back on. We rarely go without power. The lines are underground. I was prepared. Candles...check. Flashlight....check. Battery powered lantern....check. 

I got to thinking about being prepared for life in general and in my faith walk. Do I have the tools to be prepared and do I know how to use them?  How do I handle a bit of a crisis that comes at work, which happened on Tues? Was I calm?...yes. A bit frustrated?....yes. Did I pray and ask God for help in this situation?....yes.   It turned out better than I'd ever imagined.  I was apologized to from the (supervisor) man who was not too happy with the situation over the phone. He didn't even use bad language, which was amazing!  He came in to apologize to whoever he talked to over the phone. Yes, that was me. I accepted his apology and told him that he was forgiven. Then I extended my hand and we shook. I will remember what can be done differently next time with the company's people who come and purchase items on an account.


Thanking God for my wits to be calm.  Be the light, in all situations. Be true. Be in the Word. Be merciful.
Evening came and work was over. I headed over to pick up a couple RX for me. Once outside, I happened to look up. The clouds were great. We'd had blue sky for days with heat. The clouds were refreshing and beautiful. To ME!  I look to the sky and see what He has for me. Loveliness in the hard times to make it through. Surprises of clouds and flowers.

Megan had seen some flowers under the big tree out back. She didn't know what they were or who put them there. Lovely foxglove, also known as digitalis. I saw them on my way out the door to work. In the evening I stopped and took some photos. I enjoy these flowers. Maybe a bird dropped a seed and it started to grow without our knowledge. Who doesn't like surprises?!  Keep your eyes open for you may see a sweet surprise any given moment. Be thankful. Be prepared. 

Speaking of thankful, Phil and I were able to go whale watching on the coast yesterday! It was a fun time!  Details coming soon! 

"Conduct yourselves wisely toward outsiders, making the most of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer every one." 
Colossians 4:5-6


5 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Lovely to know that you were prepared for a power cut and for a crisis at work, you seemed to have coped well with the situation with His help. Beautiful foxglove.

Kathy said...

Glad you didn't lose your power for too long. We are so dependent on our electricity aren't we? Even the short 20 minutes we lost it last summer seemed so long.

Your foxglove is beautiful. I love volunteers. You never know what you are getting and sometimes they are just what you'd like to have.

Camille said...

Oh, yaaay...you got to go whale watching!!! Yes, being prepared is a good thing. May the Lord continually give His grace and strength to be a blessing to those around us in trying situations. It sounds like you were a blessing to your unseen customer. What an impact a *soft answer* can have on a heated situation. Happy week to you! Hugs, Camille

Linda W. said...

Nice sky shots! And good words of wisdom. Can't wait to see your whale watching pics!

Gracie Saylor said...

Thanks for posting, Becky! I appreciate your encouragement to "be prepared" especially in regard to my faith walk because I know that through the Lord all things are possible. I am thanking God with you that your situation at work had a positive resolution. I love seeing the sky and foxgloves through your lens, too, and I'm so glad you got to go on a whale watch! Awesome!!! xx