Sunday, July 12, 2015

July Summer Weekend

 Some of summer's bounty came home with me on Friday afternoon. It's nearing the end of sweet cherry season so I placed a box of them in my cart. I wanted more to can but I did not have time to do it this weekend. I also don't have $50 for a box of cherries either. If there are any left by this coming weekend, I will buy enough more to eat and to freeze.  Peaches, plums, cantaloupe, tomatoes, green onions and wax beans, lettuce and a peach pound cake were the rest of my load. Good coupon on the pound cake was a nice buy. I should cut it up and freeze half of it or we'll eat it all!  I just enjoy the bounty of summer's crops and always sad when fall arrives. Although there are apples then and I can make my own applesauce.
 In the evening, I put together this bird bath. It has been so dry that our bird friends are surely thirsty. I'd thought about buying one then a customer at the hardware store, where I cashier, bought one. She was buying it for the same reason I thought of.  I know that a few birds have come as water level has gone down some. I have heard more birds singing. I'm glad they are being happy. 

 Phil and I spent some time with Justin and his family Sat. a.m.  We met them at Graham Oak Nature Park. An event was going on at this 3 year old park in Wilsonville.  We had a good time together on the scavenger hunt. Lovely walk and afterwards the kids helped make bee boxes for mason bees. They are pollinators and therefore don't make honey.  Melody found a cute bee outfit to wear for awhile. We've renamed her Melobee!! She is sweet as honey since she's my granddaughter!!!!  Owen is worn out from the walk. Justin is working on the bee box. Grandpa is sitting across the table from Melobee, cutting papers to size for the bee boxes since he wasn't doing anything else.


 Erin, my lovely daughter in love. Always fun to be with them. So thankful the weather was finally cooler, 75 degrees F. and clouds made the day tolerable.  More on this day later...just sharing highlights.
Early afternoon on Sunday I drove out to a lavender farm since it's lavender festival this weekend in our part of Oregon. I'd wanted to go to a farm that has alpacas and lavender but didn't feel like driving that far this afternoon. It was closer from where we were in Wilsonville yesterday. But time constraints were there. It will have to wait for next year. I cut my own bundle which was mostly grosso lavender. It is quite fragrant and is used in making wands and sachets. Will make the latter of the two. I've no time for the wands.  So thankful the bees left me alone while I was cutting.  I enjoyed the scent of lavender and it relieved some sinus issues as well. 

I've been busy cooking as well. Made a big batch of homemade creamy chicken soup with shredded potatoes for dinner on Friday and enough for lunches for the week and maybe a dinner. A big pasta meal last night and leftovers from that.  This evening I cooked up a boneless pork roast in the oven It smells so good. I don't have time enough during the week while I work to do it. I pulled the roast out of the deep freezer on Friday and put in the fridge til this afternoon.  It turned out much better than cooking it in the crock pot, like I did awhile back. Too dry. This time I put some water in it with spices and it smells so good! I want to eat some now!!!  Pulled pork anyone?    

Megan just came home from her trip to the Seattle area. She visited friends and had a great time. Thankful the traffic was easier for her today than it was Thurs afternoon. 

Since I had bees on my mind, I chose this scripture for the week.
"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

Don't forget to leave a comment on my celebration give away post!! I always enjoy your comments!
Take care and have a good week, have some fun in the sun {with sunscreen} and make good memories along the way!!!

5 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Sweet cherries sound idyllic, I love the wonders of summer bounty too, strawberries are my go to fruit at the moment. The pulled pork sounds delicious I haven't done that in awhile. You have a beautiful family and I loved the bee outfit, so fitting for the occasion.

Camille said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time with your grands and their parents...your son and lovely bride. :) What a sweet blessing family is! I agree...cooler temps are a welcome treat. We even got some rain!!! Yippee for cooking up a storm to have leftovers to glean from during the week!! Happy Monday to you. Hugs, Camille

Linda W. said...

I love this time of year with all the fresh fruit and berries! Glad you were able to get together with family. We had my daughter and her boyfriend over for dinner last night. I'm loving this cooler weather we've been having! Have a good week.

aimee said...

Looks like you had a great time with your family Becky! Your grandkids are just TOO cute--love the little costume:) That park sounds very familiar--I am pretty sure we've driven by it before at some time or another. Mmm--love summer fruits and our now wonderfully cooler (and normal) summer weather! Sure need some rain though...
Blessings, Aimee
PS: Congrats on your blog anniversary! I couldn't enter for the giveaway but wanted to congratulate you on 8 years of bringing us posts and pictures:)

Gracie Saylor said...

It is so much fun to see your summer activities....Beeeautiful :-) I'm glad you had a good time with your family! It is great to be able to take advantage of seasonal foods, isn't it. My daughters have been enjoying making some lavender wands and bundles, too. xx