Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Rodeo: Lowlight Photography Challenge--Day 8


 Low light has always been a challenge for me. I have"wrestled" with my camera in these situations. I do come out on top with some good photos. This photo of the wild horses being let from the chute holding area across the arena to the other end when they end up resting from their work. They are so pretty!! This ISO 800 with lighting from the stadium lights at 9:54 PM.
 The calf roping competition is shot at ISO 3200 at 10:30 PM. This photo is much brighter so I am thinking the higher ISO could have been used in the first on as well. Trial and error. But I like both of the photos.
Fireworks were about 10 minutes after the last photo, at ISO 3200 as well. No tripod since I was sitting in the stands at the rodeo. We enjoyed the rodeo for five years. 

4 comments:

Pegi Hoffman said...

Great shots! I think the first one would be best with an exposure halfway between what you have and the second one. I love the light horses & dark background, but that way you'd get a little more detail. #SITSBlogging

Betsy said...

I have always enjoyed the rodeo. My favorite one is in Helena, MT where everything is so authentic, down to the Cowboys leaving the rodeo to go home and do the same things for their jobs the next day. There's something about sitting at the arena with the mountains ringing the town while watching Cowboys work! Thanks for the pictures Becky.
Blessings,
Betsy

Terri Tiffany said...

I think you did great without a tripod! I have not done many night shots yet, we get bit up too much here to go out then, but I know you need to raise your ISO to get anything even if the picture isn't as clear. A tripod would really help but who wants to lug that around?

Gracie Saylor said...

I admire that you understand the, more technical aspects of photography, Becky. I am just thrilled when I can snap a photo with out making the camera shake :) xx