Saturday, August 29, 2015

Late August Week

 Time's been flying by this summer. I find it hard to keep up with life at home and in general. I rarely read any news which I should. When I do it's depressing but I need to stay informed. The week I was sick I had little time for anything but figuring out what was really wrong...mostly stomach flu and a bit of vertigo. All have gone away. That same week I received this fun Matchbox M&M Smokin' Grille from my friend Connie! She knows I like M&Ms and I collect a few besides eating them. It comes after being at the Woodburn Firehouse Cook-off that I photographed, again this year. I am enjoying my food cart van and yes, I took it out of the package!!! It made my day brighter when I was not feeling great!


Friday, last week, I had a  fun few hours out with my friend, Jill, shopping at Costco and Fred Meyer and eating lunch between the two at Qdoba. Our schedules don't always match and we finally had the chance to get together. Thankful for a good time with her as now she has some medical issues that need attended to, including surgery.  For dinner I made up some ground turkey soup with tater tots and veggies. Megan added the chow mein noodles. It was delicious. Enough for leftovers for the following week's lunches.


 Oregon has had quite alot of wildfires this year, partly due to extreme dry conditions. We've not had rain in months. Last Sat our sky was full of smoke. I went out to the mailbox and this is what I saw. It hung around all day. I ventured to out two times and then back inside. The smoke was thick and my mouth felt it too! My asthma flared a bit and thankful for my medicine to help me through. It was a bit better on Sun but you could still smell it but smoke was less visible.


 August arrives and so does tomatoes from friends who have a garden. One of Megan's co-workers brought her some in this little box. I put all the tomatoes in a bowl on the table. Looks nice as a center piece. We've added it to our food and snacked on them as well! So delicious!
From zucchini to muffins on late Sat. These came out of the oven same time dinner was ready. I never figured out why I wait so late to bake. Phil and I had hot dogs and fresh peaches. I decided to eat one hot dog in a muffin. Yep, call me crazy! It's bread though and it was good! I still have 3 cups worth of zucchini left in ziploc bags in the freezer as well. We've been eating these all week since I made a double batch, thinking I'd take half to a party on Sunday. We didn't go because it was outdoors and there was still too much smoke for us to be out and about for a good length of time. Second party I missed in a row this month!


 Wednesday once I got home I cooked up boneless chicken breasts. I'd forgotten to do it the night before and now I'm sorry I waited til now to do it! Better write a note next time! I cut it up and we had burritos and it was delicious with tomatoes and lettuce and sour cream and cheese. I'd bought these on sale at Safeway last month. Made up a lunch for Phil to take on Friday. Enough leftover for another meal as well.
I brought this bountiful box of fruit home with me from work. Not sure who brought it but nobody took it Wed so I did. I left some of the plums and people have been eating them since it's on the table in the break room. I'm cutting up the tomatoes today with onion and peppers. Cook them up a bit then freeze in pint bags. Great for soups and stews/chili. 

We were happy to hear the rain return last night. I'd felt a few little drops when I was out late evening watering my potted plants. We had two thunderstorms come through. The second one made me really want to see the rain again. So I watched it out the living room windows. So thankful the Lord heard our petitions for rain so badly needed in the Pacific NW. Rain is to continue through Tues of next week!  

Now I need to be productive. Off I go to get laundry washed and tomatoes frozen. Next week on Thurs, which is my last work day of the week, I'll have something to look back on and remember I did productive duties in the three days I was off. It's hard to be productive on the evenings I'm off. I find just little each day helps alot. 

One of my favorite scriptures from NT Bible study this week was: 2 Corinthians 3:2-3 "You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart." 

Have a blessed weekend my friends!!! Appreciate your kind comments from all of you...wherever you are! Hugs!!!


6 comments:

Betsy said...

I enjoyed catching up on your life with this newsy post Becky. All of your cooking looks delicious. We had just a littl but of rain, mostly sprinkles today but hopefully more will be here tomorrow. We need it SO badly. The winds that came through today hit 60 mph and the fires over here grew tremendously. I hope we all get lots of rain I the next few days.
Blessings,
Betsy

Gracie Saylor said...

Hi Becky! I have just had a nice long visit with you, catching up on all the posts I missed as summer time has been flying by for me, too. I am sorry that you have had some down times with dental work, illness, and sleeplessness, but I am so glad that you have a lively relationship with the Lord and that you know His loving presence is with you no matter what your circumstances may be. You have taken some lovely photos and I admire that you are organizing them as well. I managed to throw out some old blurry or meaningless old photos last month and have deleted some digital ones, but need to delete more/transfer them to memory sticks. You have been cooking such yummy looking food. I have been enjoying using some tomatoes as part of a centerpiece on my table, too, and snacking on them :) I loved all you seaside photos with your friends and it is precious that you have enjoyed friendship with each other for so long. This week some of our family members came down with a flu bug. I was hoping to avoid it, but am now in the process of getting over it, which is keeping me home from events I had planned to attend. I was given a copy of "Jesus Calling" a few months ago and am appreciating all the devotional thoughts that I have read so far. Do you have a copy of the book? It is so easy for me to get distracted and worried and jealous and... the negative list goes on, so I appreciate reminders through readings like today's, Aug 29th, that remind me to sit quietly in His presence, refuse to worry, or dither about what needs to be done. The ending thought really spoke to my heart as it challenged me to realize that as I look to the Lord for guidance, He empowers me to do less but accomplish more. [His ways are thankfully not my ways!] I am enjoying the rain so much and am so grateful the Lord is answering many prayers by sending it! May you and yours be blessed with the Rest you need and the Joy of the Lord that is your strength :) xx

mamasmercantile said...

So glad to hear you are feeling a little better. The bountiful box of fruit looks wonderful, as does the muffin for a hot dog, I must give that a go. Thank goodness the rain has started, God has certainly answered our prayers. Stay safe.

Mereknits said...

So glad you are feeling better Becky, the flu is no fun at all. Love the produce, and those fires are just something. Stay safe and healthy.
Meredith

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hi Becky, sorry you weren't feeling well, but glad you are better. So many tasty looking photos....now I am very hungry. We have had lots of smoke here, too from fires in WA state. Now it is raining and I am so glad. My poor trees were suffering and I was getting so tired of watering things. Hope the air is better there now. Take care xo Karen

Kathy said...

That's scary about all those fires. Stay inside and keep that medicine handy. Hope things calm down out there soon!

Those tomatoes and that fruit look wonderful. I know you had a good time eating all of that good produce.