Thursday, September 17, 2015

My Staycation Day

 My week started out on a good note. I met my friend, Rebekah, at her house on Sunday afternoon for tea on her back deck. We enjoy our British tea time with tea and cookies that I brought. I really like this cup, so nice and cheery whilst visiting with my sweet Christian sister.  She is originally from London. We met years ago at the church we attend and once in awhile we get to have tea together. It's been a long time.
 We spent 3 hours talking and catching up with her change of jobs and settling her children into school again and one off to university in NY state and daughter gone on mission trip to Guatemala. Five lovely children who have been without their dad for about eight years, died from cancer. So sad but they are doing well. I've been their school supply fairy since then. It's ironic how I wind up buying items that they actually need without a list. I guess I'm on the same wave length as Rebekah! Our pastor told our church family long time ago that the family will need more help in the years after Jim died, not just a couple down the road. A sweet family for sure, who could forget them?

The breeze came up later, as we were still talking, and the late afternoon cooled down dramatically. 


Fast forward to Thurs, Sept 17, I had a vacation day from work. So I just stayed home and did some work in my office area. It's been needed tune ups and tweaks so I just worked away, no music, just me and digging through photos in envelopes that should have been hung up. I've got 3 5x7 that I found again! The photo of me is going into a frame to hang by my frozen Multnomah Falls framed photo I took in Dec 2009. Other ones go back in the envelope til later.  I made quite a dent in getting rid of garbage that was leftover in a big sack from last time I worked on it months ago. I need to be more diligent in keeping up on my spot. I get so busy and then working....not enough time to do what I should.  I gave some fabric I had to a friend this evening, after Bible study. It was to be a quilt at one time. But it has been sitting around and someone could make it into a big quilt or two small ones for a girl who needs it. They make quilts for children in need. So it went to a good cause instead of taking up space. I seem to have grand ideas but they don't materialize well.

 Here's my after lunch shot of my wacky Bugs Bunny mug I had full of tea to drink with leftovers for lunch.  Bibles on table to remind me to take both to Bible study tonight. Phil usually takes his with him but he forgot so I took both. I let time slip by and didn't get read what I should have. I did find a bit of time before Bible study started to look at a couple chapters. Sigh! Also came across photos of Phil in his uniform when he was at the beginning of his AF assignment. Wow!! No wonder I liked him (and still do!) I re-arranged computer paper and found a couple photo cds I didn't know I had! It doesn't seem like I did alot by looking at the space but there less stuff. Why do I keep so much paper stuff and buy post cards to sit in an envelope? Enough already! I seem to always do it for some reason while out but then don't send them out to people. A few are going away to my sponsored girl in Nicaragua.

Can you see the rain!!??? Our rain started later than "scheduled". Woke up with it raining early a.m. and rained most of the night. This photo is afternoon after lunch. So glad to have some rain. It was so nice to be home and just sleep in as I've been tired. My mouth is readjusting to having the right amount of teeth after almost 2 years. I don't like dental work very much but my dentist is nice so it evens out, I guess. 

I also finished my book, that I'm to review, last night. It was so good and not a book to read fast.
"Every Little Thing". by Deidra Riggs.  It's helped me grow in my life already! Also reminds me of the song by Steven Curtis Chapman "Every Little Thing You Do."  (do all for the glory of God).


What if God is saying "I am with you. You are the person for this job." Say yes. Walk through the door that opens and see what happens. #everylittlething http://amzn.to/1hNUQ7l

5 comments:

Betsy said...

It sounds as though you have had a very productive day Becky. We were promised rain today but only had a few sprinkles. We really need the rain. Your tea sounds lovely too and how sweet of you to take care of school supplies for the family. I'm sure that has been a huge help to your friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

mamasmercantile said...

What a thoughtful friend you are. School supplies are a nightmare for a family on a small budget. A great afternoon tea, one of my favourite pastimes with friends.

Gracie Saylor said...

Sharing with friends is a real joy, isn't it, Becky. I loved seeing both of the tea cups. By the way, I'm glad you are making good progress with your dental work...I have two of those contraptions and am grateful for them although having them installed was quite the process! May God bless the launch of your friend's new book. Have you gone to see the movie "War Room" yet? I am glad I did. xx

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

How fun that you got to see your friend from England! Enjoy your staycation. My parents also bought my kids school supplies this year, which was really sweet and so appreciated :) I agree, dental work is no fun!!! Have a great day, my friend!

Camille said...

How precious it is that you are involved in a practical way in your friend's family's lives. SO tragic that they lost their Dad's and Husband's physical presence....what a blessing you are to them! I *love* an English tea....so cosy and welcoming. Happy fall to you. Hugs, Camille