Friday, October 23, 2015

Life and Circumstances

 My week has been interesting to say the least!  On Sunday our youth pastor spoke briefly at both services, telling the congregation that he had resigned his position at the church. I'd known as of Thurs that this happened. We will miss them and their adorable children. It was a hard time for me but I won't go into the circumstances.   A couple other things happened over the weekend that made it less than happy as well...nothing to do with us though. Anyway, come Monday a pkg from my sweet blogger friend Betsy arrived in our mail box. She crocheted this cozy scarf for the upcoming chilly weather in our area. Little did she know what I was going through. It was also for first below 50 degree night. So I wore it when I went on a walk with Phil that evening. The prayer journal is just what I need right now as well.  What a blessing you are, Betsy! I've worn it two more times already in our 40 degree nights and the heat is set to 65 at night. Baby it's cold outside!  Needless to say, I am feeling better mentally tonight and am thankful for answers to questions I had. 

 Tuesday evening I met up with Phil for his second round of Toastmasters humorous speech competition.  It is always a good evening with these competitions. This time I got to stay for the whole program. But to our dismay he didn't place in the top 3. He was 4 out of 5, which we thought was a bit odd. Oh well, it was good anyway and people laughed.

 Our son, Justin, joined us for the evening. Good to have him there. Justin is in Toastmasters as well. He is the one that got Phil interested in it 5 years ago.
 Phil and I with his participation certificate.
Speakers interview. It was funny as the mc was asking funny questions that pertained to speeches that were given.  The man in the middle won 2nd place and 1st went to man on the left. There were more people but I didn't take a good foto of all them as there were people in front of me.
 Wednesday evening was a wacky time and Megan and I decided to go out to Dennys once we got off work. We both ended up ordering the holiday skillet, It was so good. It was funny as I thought it was about time for them to arrive when all of a sudden I heard a sizzling noise. Our waitress appeared with them! They are really hot and we sat and waited a bit for them to cool. I did manage to burn my mouth a couple times as well! I forgot to check it with my lip, like we used to tell the kids!!

Today, I woke up and was checking my email and Facebook on my smart phone.  My day off so I lay and read a bit before getting up. My daughter in love, Erin, wrote on Facebook that 2 of their hens and 2 of their little chickens were killed in the night. Most likely raccoon. In town. She woke to a mess in their back lawn. Oh my! I tried calling her, but she didn't answer. I decided then and there I'd go see them after I bought groceries and headed home via their house north and east of us. Sigh! She called Justin at work to come home and clean up the mess. He didn't know anything about it before he left as it was dark nor heard anything! All she heard, when she woke up was the little chicken squawking. Of course the grandchildren saw it all as well. Nature lesson! I didn't know what to expect. But they are doing good. I just had to be there for them a bit and took them food. Loved on the grandchildren a bit. They were sad their chickens were gone, especially ones they really liked. So prayers for the remaining 4 hens and one lone chick who has no mother hen. Other hens aren't accepting it. Prayers it won't happen again and for protection of their property and good sleep!!

 Once I left their house, I stopped in at the nursing home where my mom used to live for nearly 6 years. I felt I needed to see some people. I stopped at the front desk and Crystal was still there and she warmly welcomed me. I'd not been back but a couple times after my mom died in 2014. I walked further in and down the hall in search of Keenan. He's activity director. and we always had good times together and he enjoyed my mom so much! We went to the hallway of horror that's decorated every year. One of my mom's favorites. So I took a selfie of us!  Overhead lighting makes me whiter than I really am but that's ok cuz it's a scary place in there! The hallway links nursing home to assisted living area. The decorate nicely for Christmas as well, which I like so much better! Not so scary!
 I was thinking just a bit ago that this kinda matches how the day started...a bit of horror. I'm thankful I didn't see it but I can only imagine what Erin felt when she saw the scene. This long ago farm girl has seen sad things as well.

 Once I got out to the car, I felt the need to eat some of these crunchy, delicious chips I bought at Trader Joes. I know Phil doesn't like sweet potatoes so I won't have to fend him off. It was hard not to eat just one. Megan thinks they'd taste good dipping them in hummus! I hope I can find them again before the season is over! I only bought 2 as I didn't know how good they would be and gave one to Erin.

 This evening Megan carved this pumpkin for a harvest festival that's coming up at the church she attends. She decided to do something different. No face but Jesus spelled out.
 Inside are two battery light candles. The one S isn't the best but sometimes it's just hard to carve period. She did a good job.   

I'm looking forward to a better day tomorrow and good things. We are having mid 60s temps during the day. Clouds. Some rain earlier this week. Moving on and letting my old wound close and praying for people who are hurting and need healing. So thankful life is temporary. So thankful for Jesus in our lives. An added plus to the end of this day and close of week. Life's not easy. But I move on through  hard times, learning to grow and feed on His word. It gave me peace this week midst the trials. 

"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels or principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Romans 8:38-39

8 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Sending you a virtual hug and hope you have a better day today!

Linda W. said...

Hope today is going better for you! Congrats on your husband and his toastmaster performance. I'm back from vacation and trying to catch up on blogs... :)

Betsy said...

I'm so glad you like the scarf and journal and hope your week is going better now. I've heard of toastmasters but was ever sure what exactly they do. Debate? Give speeches? Whatever it is, it sure sounds like your husband enjoys it. I can't wait for a Trader Joe's to open closer to us. We have one, but it's clear on the other side of Spokane. I Herron the news that there is a new one opening soon that is only a couple of miles from me. Yippee!
Blessings,
Betsy

Camille said...

It is truly the only place to go with our troubles and trials. You are doing the right thing by filling your heart and mind with His Truth my friend. Hang in there. May the Lord bless you in the midst of it all. Hugs! Camille

Gracie Saylor said...

The roads I travel to church have a lot of ups and downs and curves. I go through the towns of Boring and Damascus before I arrive at church. When I was driving the route today I had to smile as I thought of how perfectly that route illustrates my life...ups, downs, curves, and thankfully like Paul on the road to Damascus an encounter with Jesus Christ that changes my understanding of all I experience. I'm praying that you will continue to sense the Lord's presence, care and encouragement in all the ups and downs and arounds that you experience in your life, Becky. xx

Teresa Kasner said...

Congrats to your husband for his speech. Sorry about the loss of the chickens.. we've had similar massacres and now we've got ours fenced in like fort knox. Keep warm! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Kathy said...

You had quite a day -- from chickens to a home. Hope things are working out for you. Lean on the Lord. He will never fail you. I love that Jack-o-Lantern.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Love that verse, Becky! Praying for God's peace to surround you as you make it through these trials. Tell Phil that it is good to see him doing his Toastmaster stuff. I loved it when I was in it 20 years ago. I feel your DIL's pain regarding the chickens. So disheartening, especially for the kids. Hugs to you!