Thursday, November 5, 2015

I Used to Think......


A blog prompt from Sarah Bessey (link)

I Used to Think.....I was doing fine in my faith walk and now I think I've got much more to learn than ever!  
Life is full of learning experiences. So is the journey with the Lord. I guess I was just at a comfortable level in my life. I don't need to grow. But I was still happy in Him and serving Him. But there's that nudge from the Holy Spirit that proved me wrong. I chide myself for thinking the way I did. But I know God has a plan for me and we walk it out. Daily. Sometimes moment by moment.
I learn quite a bit in reading the word, when I really made myself open the Bible.  I like finding underlined passages of scriptures from past readings.....sitting and pondering their meaning. Teaching children in Sunday school tends to make me dig deeper into the story in the Bible. Not just the curriculum that is handed to my husband and myself. 

I've been going to church forever! From a baby into adulthood, every where I went, even while serving in the military. If it hadn't been for going to the chapel, maybe I wouldn't have met my husband! (On Christmas eve.)  It's knowledge that grows deeper as I read and listen. 

Just this a.m. while washing dishes, that should have been washed last night, Casting Crowns Thrive CD was playing. The last song really made me stop and think!  "Waiting for the Night to Fall"  Just listen to it...and the lyrics come. Scary! I need to move on into daily living and abiding in Jesus!  One reference on cd sleeve with lyrics of song is 1 Corinthians 10:12-13  "Therefore let any one who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." (RSV) 
 I need to rise above my sluggishness and keep running the race...for the prize. I want to finish it well, not falling. If I do, I get up and ask for mercy and forgiveness from God.  
A marked verse section in John 15:14-17 is one of my favorite spots. I gives me hope. Why? Jesus calls me his friend! Amazing and he prays for us before He was arrested in the garden of Gethsemane.  How sweet is that? Enough to keep me on the right track of living a life worthy of Him....daily...home, work,shopping,driving,eyes on the prize! Eternal life! Jesus is coming again, as He's prepared a place for us!

3 comments:

Betsy said...

Lots to ponder here Becky. I, too, want to run the race well and yet I feel as though I'm failing a lot of the time. Most of the time. Thank you for this post...I know I'll be rereading it.
Blessings,
Betsy

Linda W. said...

I like your new blog header photo. Nice pic of you and your husband! And Happy early Veteran's Day.

Sarah Bessey said...

So sweet, indeed! Thank you for this!