Sunday, November 29, 2015

Thanksgiving at our House 2015

It's the most wonderful time of the year...when the next door neighbor start to decorate before Thanksgiving! Gotta start sometime, right? I spied it as I turned the corner coming home the night before thanksgiving. It is pretty.  A couple houses up, tonight, their lights are up as well. We are not lit yet. Maybe later in the week or weekend Phil will put our net lights on the rhody bush as we've done in the past years. Easier than a ladder for him!
Tuesday evening I mixed up the two pie crusts. Then put them in a zip lock bag and put it in the fridge. Wednesday evening I pulled apples out from the garage where I've stored 20# of them. I used have of them in the flat apple pies. The other half for applesauce, which I made Sat. evening. I had to think on the day bit as this week changed due to the holiday....no work on Thurs, which is when I work. Then I worked Friday which isn't normal but I did since a co-worker has been on vacation and not back til this weekend. So my "space time continuum" became messed up! I had to tell myself a few times yesterday that it was Sat, not Friday!!! I think I'll be ok! {Maybe}
Flat apple pies before I put them in the oven....with butter on top.  Then there's the messy dining room table after the crust prep! I like these pies instead of regular pies...less fussy-ness.This recipe is found in Pioneer Woman's first cookbook.

One big chunk gone Thanksgiving morning. Phil said he almost ate some the night before but resisted. This is the portion he took after I said it was ok. He didn't eat any later though. It was his breakfast, which is ok. It's all good!
Our feast of turkey, cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce, turkey gravy, green bean casserole, which Megan made, and olives and Welches sparkling grape juice.

Most of the leftovers!  There were 3 zip lock bags of turkey that I put in the deep freezer as well.  We ate a good portion of it last night. Megan took some with her since she was dog/house sitting for a friend. Still some left for lunches this week. YUM!
Megan "dipping" dominoes in my cup of tea before we began our rousing 2 games of Dominoes! It has double 0 and double 12 dominoes in it. We bought it years ago at the BX on base while we were in England with the Air Force...made in the US.  Dragon Double Twelve by Milton Bradley.

Pie after the game was over as we were still full from lunch! So good!
My co-worker wore a beach sweatshirt as well as me on Friday. I took this us-ie on my lunch break, with Carrie's help. I don't do selfies well. She said, "beach sweatshirts unite!" We both would have had more fun at the beach anyway. I would have gone to a state park since they were free on Black Friday! Maybe next year! One way to get people from shopping and outdoors! We had a busy day at work til about 3 PM. My boss didn't believe me. He didn't get in til 4. I'm sure he thought differently when he saw the numbers for the day! :-}

I went through the newspapers as trash day came and recyclables were going this week. Here's the massive amount of flyers that came with most of this week's papers. We only take it on Sunday and Wednesday. Thursday came and we get a paper since it was Thanksgiving. Most of it were sales ads. Very little of this is newspaper itself!  Weight lifting time. Nearly dropped it going out the door. Good thing I'd brought the cart to the door!  I didn't go Black Friday shopping....well, except for Thursday evening...on my lap top. Got some gifts and they will be here soon!   

Visited my son and family on Saturday late a.m. Took them some goodies I'd got for Christmas decor and Advent calendars. The children liked their ornaments and promptly put them on their Christmas tree. I enjoy seeing them and loving on them as well as my dear son and daughter in love. Erin is experiencing some sickness due to her pregnancy but she's feeling better. Sometimes gets car sick as well. I'd appreciate your prayers on her and the baby's behalf. She's looking good though!  

Spent time eating out by myself...went through flyer for Fred Meyer to see what deals I could find. Went through my coupon stash I had with me. 98% of them were expired so they were history along with the flyer I dumped in garbage at Burgerville. Found what I wanted on my shopping spree then headed home. Got two new baking pans. I'd bought one earlier to try it out...yep, need another one. B1get1halfoff!! Traffic was good in spite of the holiday. Home before it got dark. Always a plus!  As it has been in the past week, our day was sunny but chilly today. Gloves to keep the hands from drying out. Lunch at Denny's after church today...freebie meal as my punch card was full! Score! Now I must proceed printing more photos for calendars! So have a blessed week my friends! Thanks for stopping in and leaving sweet comments! You all are awesome!

 "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope, Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me; when you seek with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13 (RSV)

All photos taken on my cell phone, by Becky Lowmaster (copyright Nov 2015)

9 comments:

Betsy said...

Those flat pies look delicious and I think I'll need to make one soon. It looks as though you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and a busy weekend. I'll definitely pray for your daughter-in-law and the baby. Hopefully she'll be over the sick part soon. I'm off to see Mandy and family on Tuesday morning early. I would appreciate your prayers for safe flights.
Blessings,
Betsy

Gracie Saylor said...

So glad you had a good Thanksgiving celebration, Becky. I have not made it through the newspapers yet, but we had a good celebration with new baby Sarah in our household, and had fun putting up the Christmas tree last night. Praying your DIL feels better soon and that you have a happy week. xx

Kathy said...

What a great Thanksgiving you had! I had to work Friday also and it was dead. I think it finally picked up a bit when it was almost time to go home. Sorry yours was so busy. I KNOW you and your co-worker would rather have been at the beach. I would want that too.

Have a good week. Christmas is coming.

Anonymous said...

Your Thanksgiving meal and flat pies look quite yummy! I am a fan of these more rustic looking pies too. Prayers for your DIL...
Blessings, Aimee
PS: I would have liked a beach Friday too, but sadly both of us are sick with colds. Yuck :-(

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving with some amazing food. The flat pies look delicious. I have loads of apple in the freezer ready for pies over Christmas. Praying for your DIL and hoping that she stays well. Take care.

Linda W. said...

Glad you had a great thanksgiving! I can't believe the Christmas season is on us once again!

Camille said...

Your Thanksgiving feast looked lovely. And, those pies!!! Yum! I would have enjoyed it for breakfast, too. Your Phil is a smart man. :) Merry Christmas to you and yours! (Is it too early to say that?) Hugs, Camille

Mereknits said...

I'd like to reach right in the computer for a piece of that pie. You have been very, very busy Becky.
Hugs to you,
Meredith

Teresa Kasner said...

It looks like you had a delicious Thanksgiving dinner! I hope your daughter feels better. I'll see you soon!

*********************************************
*H*A*P*P*Y* * *H*O*L*I*D*A*Y*S*!*!*!*
*********************************************

((hugs)), Teresa :-)