Saturday, January 16, 2016

Celebrating and.....


 Last Sunday afternoon, we met up with our son's family for a birthday pizza dinner. We ordered ahead so our wait wouldn't be so long. We gathered at Bellaggio's Pizza in West Linn. Close for all of us and nothing to clean up! Owen turned 5 years old last week.
 The birthday boy and his aunt Megan.


 Big sister Melody.
 Owen digging out his gifts of Dr. Suess books and match box cars. I did find "The Cat in the Hat" while shopping a few days prior. He was happy to get "Green Eggs and ham."
 His mom, Erin, looks on.

 Erin's birthday is a few days after Owen's so I gave her a gift as well. It's a planner that has coloring pages in it. At the beginning of each month is a whole page that can be colored. It was on her wish list. She said she was able to purchase Prisma colored pencils for half off at Michael's with her teacher's discount (she home teaches.) Glad she liked it. She's a sweet young woman who loves her family. So thankful she's in our family!

 Phil's bottle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fast forward to Odarkthirty Friday morning. Megan had so much trouble breathing she asked for help. She got a cold again and had been coughing so hard. I think it just scared her. But what do we do but help her. Phil woke me up. Then he boiled some water to give her some steam to breath.
 I rubbed mentholatum on her feet and put a pr of cotton sox on her feet. Some on her throat. Covered her up and she rested for hours on the couch. Feeling better after an hour or so, she went and got her cozy fuzzy blanket from her bedroom and fell asleep again. I slept on the recliner. We went to our respective beds later. So much for getting up early and heading out for my regular chores of shopping. So thankful she felt better later. So I got myself together and headed out for my journey of the day. Cloudy with some glorious sunshine to brighten my day.
 Lovely flowers at the drinking fountain at Trader Joes. I like my once it a month trek there for stocking up groceries. We like some of their cereals and juices, meats....  And my trip home was good minus slow time of day. Was hoping to miss it but that's partly my fault. I spent too much time at Cost Plus World Market searching for good deals. I needed to use a shopper's bonus by Sunday and use up my gift card I got at Christmas. 
I settled on this back pack that I'm going to use as my purse. I like it. I now need to put my stuff in it. I have ideas for this year for a better system in my purse. Organization. The color goes well with my coats. We'll see how it works. I decided against the London clock. {Maybe I'll get it for my birthday?}

Megan is doing better. I pulled out our humidifier and got it filled. Put it in her room last night.  She just got home from work and says she feels better. Just still some cough though. So many are sick around here. My co-workers and her co-workers.    My back is somewhat better each day. This a.m. I went for a back massage and I feel better. So thankful Teresa D. was able to fit me in today. 
Thankful for the rainbow I spotted quickly in the right view mirror while driving this morning. 
Thankful that Phil put the new faucet in our bathroom sink. Over time the past few months prevented him from doing so. He did it without his Channelock. He's not sure where he left it. Hopefully it's around somewhere here. Sigh!

Phil's dad, Jim, moved into assisted living today. He lives in PA. Phil's just younger brother, Steve, has ALS and is struggling with that. A long story but want to ask for your prayers for healing and comfort. Our lives go on even when the seasons of life come. None of us are getting any younger. Thankful for the good health that we have. 

"When you pass through the waters I will be with you; 
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; 
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, 
and the flame shall not consume you. 
For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."
Isaiah 43:2-3

9 comments:

Betsy said...

Praying for your family Becky, especially Phil's Dad and brother. Also glad Megan is doing better. There is certainly lots of ick going around. I haven't felt well since Wednesday but not sure what the problem is. Love your new backpack/purse. It's always fun to get something new isn't it? I hope you have a wonderful Sunday and have a chance to rest up a bit.
Blessings,
Betsy

mamasmercantile said...

Love the new back pack, great colour. Hope you manage to get it organized to your liking. Your family will be in my prayers, there is so much ill health about at the moment both my dear Dad and husband are still under the weather. Take care.

Erin said...

Thank you for joining us! I really like the planner and am so glad to have it! I've been using it every day! I like it has space to write out daily blessings, Bible verses, and my to dos! Owen really loves the books! He's almost got Green Eggs and Ham memorized!

Kathy said...

Owen's birthday party looks so fun! I love going out on birthdays just because there is no clean up.

Your backpack/purse is so cute! Organization seems to be the word for January. Hope you get everything in it the way you want.

I will certainly be praying for Phil's dad and brother and for Megan too. How scary that night must have been. Glad she is better now.

Gracie Saylor said...

Owen looks so joyous! I'm glad you all had fun and I love your choice of books. Your pretty backpack looks very versatile, and I will be interested to hear how you like using it over time. May the Lord bless your family with good health and days this week. xx

Mereknits said...

The birthday festivities look like so much fun. Your poor daughter, hope she is feeling lots better by now.
Hugs,
Meredtih

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Happy Birthday to Owen and his sweet Mom. They grow up so fast..... Hope Megan is feeling better and better. We had it going around our whole family before and after Christmas. Now the baby is sick. I like your backpack. My purses are always such a mess. Sending prayers for Phil's Dad and brother. It's so hard when you are so far away. xo Karen

Camille said...

What fun that you have your son's family nearby so you can celebrate birthdays together. It looks/sounds like you had a lovely time. That journal you gave your daughter-in-love sounds lovely...I am sure she will put it to good use. Yippee for a new purse (backpack, in this case)! I couldn't use a backpack for a purse...I would fill it up!! Aaack! SO sorry your Megan had such a nasty bug...glad to hear she is improving. I am praying for you and your extended family this morning my friend...ALS is such a frightening disease. Big Hugs to you! Camille

Janet Coffield said...

Prayers.