Friday, January 8, 2016

Friday Catch-Up

 The first work week of 2016 has been interesting. A few co-workers have been out sick with a cold virus. Another one has a kidney infection so his hours have been lower as well. I'm thankful to God that my cold's not been too bad. But it's sapped my energy. Chilly weather's still here. January usually is the coldest of the winter months.
But life goes on. 
Here's a reader board above the register. I changed it the day before new year's.
 A young school aged boy had seen the other one with white pumpkins as decor. He said "it's not halloween any more!" I enlightened him that it's still pumpkin season with pies for the holidays. The running lights change the color of the ink. It's fun to watch and alot of people like it! Especially children!
 I looked through our children's books here at home this week.  I was able to find 3 to put in Owen's 5th birthday present. I found a couple other books to buy. Added 5 Mattel hot wheels cars. We'll celebrate his birthday this weekend at a pizza place. His mom's birthday is mid next week. So I went shopping on line over the weekend. One arrived today with an item for me as well. One more pkg mid next week. Scored a couple things she wanted from my computer chair! It's hard to shop right after Christmas for a birthday. Maybe I need to do a bit better next year. He gets so much for Christmas so I went small for birthday but he'll still like it. I can't believe I didn't have a copy of "The Cat in the Hat." I did find it today while shopping. But that's ok....can't be cheap on grandson's birthday.
My friend, Arlene, is sharing her mission 2015 trip to Africa on Thursday a.m. at women's Bible study at our church. She'd given me a heads up on it in Dec. so I could get time off in the a.m. to go hear her presentation.  It was quite the journey and I'd seen some of the photos on her blog as she shared while on her trip. Amazing how many lives were touched for the Lord. I'd like to go to the study every week, now that they are doing a Beth Moore study of Daniel. Gotta work but someday I can!!!
 Down the road in a few years, if the plan works out.
After work I stopped in to Bimart to pick up a birthday card for a friend's husband. Then remembered to check out these pull out shelves that are on sale. I took photos of the measurements on the 4 different boxes. Then will measure a couple places in the cupboards to see what will fit. It's about $20+off. Organizational items are on sale right now. So grab them when I/you can. I'm a list maker and usually don't get a planner. I have ideas and that's why I ordered a Pendaflex Pile smart  project sorter.

 
 Today was lovely in the afternoon, once the sun came out. I got my hair trimmed then headed into Canby to get lunch at Burgerville. My girlfriend/co-worker gave me a couple little items at Christmas. One was a $5 gift card to Burgerville. The chocolate hazelnut milkshakes/smoothies are in so I needed to get one today! Here's my small smoothie with my turkey/bacon sandwich. It was so good.


Once I got into the car, I looked up and this was the scene I saw. It's from the Vietnam Veteran Memorial by the parking lot. So pretty in the sunshine I just had to take a picture of it. On the tail of the helicopter is written "United States of America". So thankful for the freedoms we have in this country, even though some are being changed, sadly. 

I still thank God for the ability to drive through the countryside and watch fog lift away from the valley and see it's beauty in the winter time. Hear a fun, sweet conversation at the grocery store between a mom and her son about having popcorn in popcorn machine again. I teared up three different times today due to emotions and others around me. A man, with maybe his brother, whose blind and mentally handicapped, eating by me. When they leave, one leading the other, he waves at me and I tell him to have a good day. I pray for them as it's not an easy task. I miss visits with my mom. I just got my Shutterfly book today in the mail. There were photos of my mom in there at Christmas 2011. So thankful for the times I've had with her. Memories linger. That's why I'm also doing my blessings/gratitude journal again this year. I skipped it last year. The 2014 journal is a memory maker of my last year with my mom.  I feel my life is better really looking for things to be thankful/happy about in my day. Some things were amiss this past year in my life and I feel it was the lack of gratitude daily. Not sure exactly but am working on fixing it, with the Lord's help. 

As a closing thought, I leave you with a portion of scripture I read last evening. Phil and I were going through the lesson from our Bible class we attend Sunday a.m.  Israel class ..That the World may Know by Ray VanderLaan. This week it was on David and Goliath. We're doing our own study this year, since there's not one we can attend that fits our schedule. Read through Bible verses in handout. Today I figured out quick meals for that night so then we can get to our study sooner than later.
Take care and have a good weekend, and I'm off the computer chair, slowly. Not sure why or how I tweaked my back while I was out shopping today. Feeling a bit better and thankful Phil washed the dishes tonight! Last night my left foot hurt. Maybe it's connected. In some way! ;0}

"The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
and my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; thou savest me from violence. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies." 
2 Samuel 22:2-4

6 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Hope it is nothing too serious that you have hurt. I have family birthdays in January too which I find difficult to buy for. Take care.

Kathy said...

Being a Christmas baby I don't think it's hard at all to buy for me. Just go shopping the day after Christmas when everything is on sale! Ha, ha! My family was good and never gave me a "joint" gift. I was always told it wasn't my fault I was born four days after Christmas. You made some great choices for your grandson! Love those Dr. Seuss books.

Hope your back and foot are feeling better. Boy do I know that! I'll be praying for you.

I love the idea of a blessings journal. I tend to complain in my journals. I think I'm going to have to change that.

Camille said...

Happy Birthday to your grandson and daughter-in-love! Dr. Seuss books are classics and hot wheels always go over well with a little boy. I am sure he will enjoy all you so lovingly put together for him. Hope you are better soon. No fun to have aches and pains. Hugs, Camille

Linda W. said...

Dr. Seuss books make the best birthday presents! Your grandson will love them. Take care of that back and hope you feel better.

Betsy said...

I really like the scripture you quoted. Your post today is filled with gratitude. You inspire me to do the same. I love all the gifts you are both giving and being blessed with yourself. It sounds as though you are a happy woman who looks for the blessings surrounding you as you go about your life. I'm so glad I know you.
Blessings,
Betsy

Gracie Saylor said...

Your new year is off to a busy start, Becky, and I love your focus on gratitude and the faith filled verse you shared! My oldest sister is visiting from out of state this week and I am enjoying her companionship...she is working on a puzzle while I am typing to you :)
May God bless you and yours this week. xx