Sunday, January 3, 2016

Snowy Sunday

Temperatures in our neck of the woods, in Oregon have been a mite chilly. It's been going on for most of the week. Last few days the air feels like it's off a glacier! Will it ever snow? An app came up on Facebook yesterday of a winter storm in our area. Possible snow fall and then later freezing rain. I'll believe when I see it. My weather app on my phone said snow as well.  What to our wondering eyes did appear this morning but snow out our front window! 29 degrees F. Still cold at 30 and cloudy.(4 PM)
 Looking out our front door to garage and our sidewalk this a.m.
 Phil drove us to church this a.m. Not too bad going but a bit slippery. Church was good, some people not there, but that's understandable. We have quite a few elderly people that don't come out in this weather. Some people braved the roads to get there from a distance. My daughter decided to stay off the interstate and came to church with us. It was nice to have her sitting beside me and hearing her sing! This photo is of a tree in the church's parking lot. I took the photo before leaving to come home. The roads were more icy as some of the snow had melted. Amazing how a bit of snow changes the landscape scenes just a wee bit. If you click on the photo, you can see the ice/snow on the tree. 


Catching up over the weekend...Evening of Thurs, Phil and I went to Red Robin to get his free birthday hamburger. Then we came home and watched The Muppet Christmas Carol on tape. Yes we still have a VCR and tapes. Love the story, music and the Muppets. I am going to find and buy it on DVD for our grandchildren!     
On Friday we stayed home. I made up some applesauce from apples I'd stored in the garage. I decided to work up as much as possible. I still have 15 apples left. I still have the Foley food mill I bought years ago...made in Minneapolis, MN. I remember when my children were young and they'd take turns grinding out the applesauce. I didn't take off the skins this time so that's why I used the mill. Some people like the skins in their sauce, I don't. I did add some sugar to it. Sure tastes good. Three of the containers went into the freezer and one in the fridge to use now. The bowl was put into the fridge as I didn't have time to put rest of it up. My daughter and I watched  a new "Sherlock Holmes: Abominable Bride" on PBS. We were going to see it this next week in a movie theatre, but found out it was playing on tv. Good save! And she was able to get her money back for the tickets. So the following evening I put the remainder sauce into ziploc bags and those went into the freezer. Flatter and saves storage space.

Saturday afternoon I decided it was time for me to get a professional pedicure done. This is after I got home. I'd gone grocery shopping for a few items before I came home, in the cold. Needed to air out my feet a bit. And hopefully no polish got messed up. Nope! Next time maybe I'll take sandals but I didn't think about it. Too cold for that anyway but other women did it.  Here's the color I chose and it's a good one for the first of a new year, for sure. I like the color alot. Now if my few toes will quit itching, it will be fine. Not sure what happened there. Started itching about 4 a.m. Maybe it was the little thing she put between my toes...latex? Will check it out, My legs feel alot better.

"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another and so much the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:23-25

Have a blessed week my friends and I will be back with our Christmas photos in the next post! 

6 comments:

Tina Foster said...

Sounds like you have had some busy yet relaxing days. After church, I did nothing but stay in and be 'lazy.' It was nice!

Betsy said...

It's been snowing all day here too. I didn't even know it was supposed to snow! I was hoping for warmer weather but no such luck. Your applesauce both sounds and looks good too. Yum! I make my own too. Nice toe color. I haven't had a professional pedicure for awhile. Too many horror stories about the the germs! So I just do my own. Saves me a few dollars too. Have a wonderful week.
Blessings,
Betsy

Gracie Saylor said...

Glad you navigated safely, Becky! I hope you have a happy week. xx

Linda W. said...

I just spend nearly 7 hours trying to get home from Mt Hood Meadows yesterday. Highway 26 was treacherous! But the skiing was excellent so I guess it was worth it. Happy New year to you! Stay safe and warm!

mamasmercantile said...

No snow on this side of the Atlantic only rain, rain and more rain. Your applesauce looks delicious, I always make my own too. Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Yea for snow!! Makes ones surroundings so pretty. Yum to homemade applesauce...my mom used to freeze hers too. Love your scripture ;-)
Happy New Year!
Blessings,
Aimee