Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Words-day

There was time to think while between customers at work. I've been processing what I gleaned from IF:Gathering 2016 over the weekend. I've put thought into words I share with customers, with friends, co-workers, people I meet through the days. One customer came in a couple times today. He was a bit stressed. Second time M. came in, we talked a bit as he was back from training in the Army. He wasn't being a happy camper after coming home. Sigh! What words can I share with him to make M. a bit  happier? {When he came back from an overseas tour of duty last year and came in a few times, I'd buy him a beverage as a thank you and a welcome back home.} So when he arrived to the register, with his items to purchase, I handed him  a Lindt chocolate ball candy that was on the counter, in it's display box. "Here  you go. I care about you and so does God!" 
At that M. cheered up and went on his way once the transaction finished.  
 A young boy with his sister, came into the store. He asked me if there was a restroom they could use? He was so cute with huge freckles on his face and his little sister was adorable as well. I directed them where to go. He said thank you and did the same thing again as they left, hand in hand. Just as they'd came in. Never seen them before. Words matter. Young and old alike. Sad. Happy. Hurt. I liked the surprises along my day, speaking words, exchanging stories. 

Words of gratitude are: ability to drive my car. 
Ability to be there for my family. God's provisions in my life.
 Funny co-workers.
 My blooming flowers. 
Lenten Rose, Hellebore
Lovely overcast afternoon to be outdoors after my early shift was over.
 Cooking dinner, which I don't always do on work nights.

Jesus is the Word of God...John 1:1-5 
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God,
He was in the beginning with God.
All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.
In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."

Jesus! WORD! He speaks into our lives. He tells us to GO. Spread His word, his work, all about love and care for others. He came to set the captive free and didn't pander to authority. He healed the lame, he healed the sick, leprous, demon possessed, fed people, cared about children and women......
Our words matter in the world..of hurt, brokenness, dying, sick, poor, rich.....What we do in Jesus name follows us. We do it to honor God, not ourselves. 

"Thrilling, fulfilling and best way to live life when we love as Jesus did. Our joy will be full." 
John 15:5-8{Jen Hatmaker ==IF:Gathering 2016}

5 comments:

aimee said...

Really good post for the first day of Lent! Words and actions do matter. Love your new header photo~so ready to see the bulbs of spring :-)
Blessings,
Aimee

Linda W. said...

Nice story about helping M. feel better! And yes, I agree - words do matter.

Gracie Saylor said...

Thanks for posting your good words, Becky, they do count! xx

Betsy said...

I so enjoyed this post Becky. I read it out loud to Dennis just now. Words and actions DO indeed matter. We learned that first hand this week while he was in the hospital. Almost all of the nurses and staff were amazing and so very helpful. There were only a few sourpusses along the way. {{{{sigh}}} There always seem to be one or two doesn't there? The wonderful, encouraging words and care they all gave us made both of us feel cared for and yes, actually almost loved by the staff. I'm so proud to call you my friend as you are sharing God's love everywhere you go.
Blessings,
Betsy

Teresa Kasner said...

*H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* and it was nice to see how you were kind to your customers. There should be more cashiers like you!

_.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._
*H*A*P*P*Y* *V*A*L*E*N*T*I*N*E*S* *D*A*Y*
_.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._

((hugs)), Teresa :-)