Saturday, March 26, 2016

My Easter Thoughts 2016

 In these weeks leading up to our {early} Easter, I've been reading the book of John in my Bible. I've been wearing a cross necklace to work a few times.  Reading about Jesus' life and how life changed in many ways since He came to earth.  

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without him nothing was made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men, and the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it." John 1:1-5

 Jesus came and he taught his disciples, who He chose to teach and follow His ways. Just like the rabbis did in the Jewish faith.  The disciples were probably surprised and humble to be called by Jesus as they weren't elite by any means. They gave up their work to follow Jesus. He taught them along with other people who came to hear him talk and heal those who were physically in need of help. Sometimes on their journeys. As He teaches us in our life journeys. (John 13:13-17).
We live by His example.  Our lives are never the same when we come to Him.

 Jesus knew all along that he would die on the cross. (John 12:27-36) He never shied away from it and prepared his disciples and prayed for them. Then He prayed for us, those who were not there but believed because of their word. 
(John 17) "I do not pray for these alone,
 but also for those who will believe in Me through their word." 
 Betrayal and arrest showed Jesus as humble and never fought back. 
Speaking to Pilate,"My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews, but  now My kingdom is not from here.' Pilate therefore said to Him, "Are you a king then?" Jesus answered, "You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice"  John 18:35-37
Jesus died a cruel death on the cross...nails pierced hands and feet. On the cross was placed a sign, "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews" John 19. It's interesting to me that Pilate wanted no part in Jesus' death and he went against the Jewish leaders by keeping the title above Jesus. Pilate said "What I have written, I have written." (John 19:19-22).  Pilate stood his ground in his belief. 
All the prophecies about Jesus dying were fulfilled. Amazing! Why? He died to save us from our sins. None of us are perfect but God loves us and we in turn follow in the steps Jesus walked. Be His servants, humble and gentle spirit. Filled with the Holy Spirit, that He promised to give us after He left this earth. A good gift as I've felt that presence many times in my life.

Tonight at Good Friday service in church, we sang a song that always touches my heart. 
 always brings tears to my eyes and a sadness in my heart.  
The part that gets me the most are these lyrics.
"Why should I gain from His reward, I cannot give an answer, 
But this I know with all my heart, His wounds have paid my ransom."

Now we wait....as Sunday is Coming!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Becky, I cannot even begin to tell you how much this post means to me. Thank you for your faithfulness to our Lord. Even though we have never met in person, you are truly my sister. I too love "How Great the Father's Love for Us". What a great hymn. Have a blessed Saturday and an even better Resurrection Day.

Betsy said...

Amen. Sunday is coming! Thank you for this thought provoking post Becky. Easter is affecting me more this year in my heart. Oh, it always does, but maybe it's the sad and tumultuous state of the world right now. I feel His coming back to receive His own is springing very close. His death. His burial. And tomorrow His resurrection, are touching me even more this year. May your Easter be blessed with rejoicing my friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Camille said...

Because of the Resurrection we have HOPE!! Oh, how wonderful it is to fill our hearts and minds with the Truth of it all. How precious our Saviour is! We had a visiting pastor last Sunday, and, he described us as being so messed up that we are unable to do anything to merit peace with God. We were so desperate in our need that it required the Son of God coming in human flesh to live the life we could never live, and fulfill all of God's requirements for perfection in our place. Where the first Adam failed, the Second Adam achieved perfect obedience and gained glory. And, one day, He will take His people into glory as well...what a thought!! May the Lord bless you as you celebrate Him and all He has done this weekend. Hugs, Camille

mamasmercantile said...

A beautiful, thought provoking post. May you have a blessed Easter.

Gracie Saylor said...

Life in Christ is so amazing, isn't it Becky. My mind can't quite grasp, how much our heavenly Father loves each of us best and most and demonstrated His love for us in such a precious way. I am so grateful. Christ is risen!!! Happy Easter xx