Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A Full Weekend

This past week has been warm and so thankful my tulips finally opened to show me some color.  Megan bought me this lovely Eternal Flame tulip near Easter. I've not put it in a pot yet even though it's in a pot.    Over the weekend I was gone mid Friday to late evening on Sat. I drove down south a bit and visited my brother a bit. Then did a couple hours of shopping at Kohls for clothes and bath towels, which needed replacing.  Driving on further, to Corvallis, I checked into a hotel for the evening. That way I didn't have to get up so early to be at a meeting that morning. 
I dined by myself at the Old Spaghetti Warehouse just a short walk from the hotel. Not wanting to eat much, I ordered broiled shrimp scampi and bread off the appetizer menu. It was so delicious. A bit later I found out there was applesauce to be had so I ordered a small bowl of it. Just what I needed for my finicky stomach! While waiting for my food, I wrote out some of my thoughts on a mission trip I'm considering. Thoughts swirling in my heart and soul. I've realized writing down my thoughts are the best way to remember.
The ambience of this restaurant is so inviting in the century old structure. The antique light fixtures are stunning. Brick walls are studded with historic photos and OSU memorabilia. It's a renovated train depot that's housed other restaurants as well. It sits near the bank of the Willamette River.

Once I decided to leave, I step off my tall high backed stool-style chair, I spotted this lady. Oh my, it's none other than Mary Ellen P. She's a former university professor of Megan's! She was there with her husband, on a date nite. She suggested we take a photo of us and then send it to Megan. We had a nice but short visit. They were eating then moving on "to listen to frogs croak and sounds of birds while they getting ready to sleep." I moved on into the cool evening once I visited the ladies room. There again I found some lovely lighting!

Outside the main door was this painting of the days gone by.
Photos of the actual station/restaurant outside from the parking lot.

Nice, quick walk back to the hotel since the air was a bit on the chilly side. Once inside I realized it was time for fresh baked cookies so I slipped one into a provided bag and quietly stepped into a room where the photographer group had an informal meeting. A bit late but so glad I had the conversation with friends.
After a good night's sleep, I went over to OSU for  Nature Photographers of the Pacific Northwest. I've been in this home ec bldg before. So old but renovated in some spots, although the restrooms need a better face lift.  It was a good day and glad I went, learned a few new things.
My friend, Linda, and I were sat together. Even though we live close we still traveled separately. It's ok. It's her 2nd time to go and I've been with the group for years.
Our main speaker was George Lepp. He's quite the man to share a wealth of photography knowledge.
Lovely flowers outside the building. There were other flowers as well, but I was tired by the time it was over that I just wanted to do a bit of shopping, eat and head for home!
Sunday morning Phil and I helped our friend, Rebecca, in her class. We were "floaters" this week so we helped with the craft in her class. The lesson for the month is on the disciples (of Jesus.)  Some of them were fishermen. So the craft was making fish.  We helped 17 k-1st grade children! There used to be less than that a couple years ago so the grades were combined.  Now there might be a reason to divide them again! It is a good thing though!
I sat between two girls and helped them with their fish. And folded tissue paper in 4ths to move along the process. 15 minutes isn't a long time to get this done!  The fish below is teacher sample.
I just looked on the schedule for this coming Sunday and we'll have the same group in our cooking class! I'll let you know how it goes!
Finished fish on the table while the children were singing and waiting for their parents to pick them up.
"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35
Monday came and it was back to work and the lovely flower pots and watering cans are still lined up. Notice the tan pots with birds on them? I have one of them. So pretty that I couldn't resist the urge to buy it.  Hopefully this weekend I will get a plant into it. I was going to put the tulip pot in it, above but didn't. And the tulips that look purple are now red! They've opened up today! Will snap a photo later.
Now it's off the get some laundry folded and get ready for tomorrow!
Happy week, my friends and thanks for your visit and comments. What have you all been up to lately? 
Take care and God bless you all!


8 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

You are certainly one busy lady, with lots of things going on in your life. Loved the fish crafting with the children, its a great one to use for when my Grandchildren visit. Take care.

Betsy said...

Goodness you had a busy and full weekend Becky. The train depot looked very interesting and like a fun place to eat. I like the children's crafts. Very inventive. I need to get a new flower pot also. It needs to be a big one and since they're so expensive I keep putting it off. Have a lovely day.
Blessings, Betsy

Linda W. said...

You were one busy lady! Always great to meet up with a bunch of fellow photographers.

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hi Becky, love the light fixtures in the restaurant that you stopped at, and how fun to meet up with your daughter's former professor! The photography lecture sounded wonderful and I hope you came away with some good tips. Cute little crafts that your little ones in the class made, too. I used to teach art and also ran a crafts program at my children's elementary school when I was in PTA. This brings back sweet memories. The pots are beautiful - my hubby has told me I am on a 'pot restriction'- hahaha! He found the old pots I have stashed out back so I have to use them up before I buy any more. Darn it! He's so nosy :) Hope you have a wonderful week and are enjoying this beautiful spring. Hugs and blessings xo Karen

Gracie Saylor said...

Becky, you have been having great adventures! I too especially like the fish craft! Yesterday I saw several businesses that had garden patches with purple and orange tulips...a combination I have never tried, but they were stunning together. Isn't the sunshine wonderful!!! xx

Teresa Kasner said...

You've been getting around and doing a lot of fun things! I like the garden pots. We'll see you soon! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Mereknits said...

My goodness Becky you have the busiest life. So glad you were able to get away for that rewarding series on photography. I actually love a night alone, even eating alone its such a treat.
Hugs,
Meredith

aimee said...

I love historical buildings that are given a second life instead of tearing them down! Love those bird planter pots--beautiful! I pray God will give you discernment on what to do about the mission trip. Have a blessed Sunday:)
Blessings,
Aimee