Sunday, June 12, 2016

Fruitful Words

 Life has been busy and late spring weather has been crazy. Heat one week that makes one want to stay indoors instead of planting tomatoes. Or coolness and rain and one must stay indoors. Or be tired from working 4 days a week and not caring about anything but what really, truly needs to be done.
I finally planted my tomatoes evening of Memorial Day. I chose to plant in buckets this year. They are deeper than the square foot garden plot. And I can move them for more sun if need be. I enjoy having my wheelbarrow that I can load up my soil and work on my patio. The kneeler bench has two functions. The one you see here is a seat. It saved my back from bending over and over again. Other way to use it with the pads lower to ground and the part now on ground is up. You then can pull yourself up off the knees easier than just getting up without help. I like the cushions for my "over 40" knees!
 All five buckets are done! Sitting on the patio at this moment. Moved to another spot where sun with get them in the morning and afternoon. Even though is was warm out, I had my boots on. Kept my feet from getting dirty and wet if I was so inclined to get them wet while watering tomatoes and other plants.   I am happy to report that I have 3 small tomatoes growing on one my Oregon red tomato plants as of last week. Today I checked and there were 5 small yellow pear tomatoes on that one plant. I guess they are liked the G&B Organics raised bed potting mix.


 Late last week there was a basket full of delicious cherries in the break room. One of my co-workers brought them in on Wed. I had some on Thurs and they were quite good. I got to thinking about how life is bowl of cherries. It can mean it's something pleasant.  I decided to look this phrase up on the internet. Here it is:

Life is just a bowl of cherries,
Don't take it serious, it's too mysterious.
You work, you save, you worry so,
But you can't take your dough when you
go, go, go.

So keep repeating it's the berries
The strongest oak must fall
The sweet things in life, to you were just loaned
So how can you lose what you've never owned?
Life it just a bowl of cherries.
So live and laugh at it all.
 --a song written by Lew Brown/Ray Henderson


Phil and I had just been discussing our role as Christians in this world. So much is built for man's pleasure and their pride....look what I did! We are here to help spread God's word, wherever we are, at our jobs, in the stores where we meet people where they are. I was sharing how I interact with people who visit the hardware store where I work. I've been there 11 years this month and I've got to know alot of people. We have good interactions. I pondered how old I'd be in 9 years....Oh.my.goodness. Don't even want to think about that age! Where have the years gone? I enjoy most of it. I also realized come August, will be 40 years since I joined the US Air Force. Oh dear me. That's another story to share. I figure out how to better myself in various ares. Pain in the feet seems prevalent.  Wishing I could do more fun things, like tending to my knitting like other people do. Finish my half read book. Hours turn into days. Days into weeks. Weeks into years. But it's ok. It's been a good life thus far. Not too many regrets. 
Thinking about all the years gone by and what's ahead can make me feel deflated. At times. I'm not as young as I once was. But there's many good years ahead. I keep myself active, walking and working and enjoying life with my husband and daughter and other family members and friends. 

"I will sing to the Lord as long as I live.
I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.
May my meditation be sweet to Him.
I will be glad in the Lord."
Psalm 104:33-34

Have a blessed week and thanks for stopping by. I've enjoyed your comments so much, especially congratulations to our daughter's university degree completion! 

5 comments:

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hi Becky, fresh tomatoes sound so good! Good idea to grow them in buckets. I need to try that! It is so cold today - 51 was the 'high'- and it is raining like crazy. Junuary.......I can relate to wondering where the time goes. Wish I was young again - oh to have the wisdom we have now when we were young, huh? It sounds like you have done some wonderful things to help this world - thank you for your service, first of all. Raising responsible children, being kind, helping people. I think you have done well and should be proud. Time keeps moving forward and all we can do is make sure we leave behind a legacy of kindness. Take care, my friend. Hugs and blessings. xo K

mamasmercantile said...

Such a good idea to grow the tomatoes in buckets, we do a lot of container gardening. You certainly gave me a lot to think about in your post today. Take care.

Mereknits said...

Your garden looks great Becky and so do those cherries. I think focusing on the here and now helps, the future is always worrisome, how we will age, how we will feel, what our country will be like. Enjoy your Fatith and your family.
Meredith

Gracie Saylor said...

Hi Becky! This morning I read in a devotional reading from Jesus Calling about the timelessness of God...He is the beginning and the end...and we know His peace as we focus on Him no matter how time bound we may feel. There are times when I feel my life has gone or is going at warp speed :)

I finally got my one Sun Gold tomato plant into the soil, but I am puzzled because the Sun Gold plant I had last year had yellow cherry tomatoes shown on its tag and this year's tag shows small red tomatoes...hmmmmmm?????

I wonder about my fruitfulness in faith, too, and now I am wondering what kind of fruit I will get from my tomato plant! xx

Kathy said...

What a great post. So thought provoking. I've been thinking about me growing older lately. I'm almost the age my dad was when he died. It gets me pondering life a lot.

I don't have any tomatoes at all on my plants. I planted them from seeds so maybe that is why I am behind everyone else. I'm looking forward to seeing your harvest.