Sunday, August 28, 2016

Stained Glass Thoughts

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105
Stained glass windows have been around a very long time. I've seen them in churches since I was young. Bible characters and scripture are always featured on them. Never have I seen a bad one. Ones in England are beautiful as well. These windows add something special to church. Last Sat. my daughter and I attended a memorial service for my co-worker's mom in the older style church,  
Quite the setting for the service. After the lunch reception was over, I came back up to the sanctuary and took photos. Spent a few quiet moments in thought as Pat's big picture was still up and the flowers were smelling so sweet.  Sweet, good memories lingered in my mind of conversations with her on the phone, in person, prayers said for her health. She is a cancer survivor! Now in heaven...survived the world! Hallelujah! Thankful for the promise of heaven all because Jesus loved us so much that He came to die for our sins and set us free!

"He saw the spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting upon Him." Matthew 3:16

As believers in Christ, we are to do His work, in the church and in the world. We grow in knowledge of Him and teach others about him, as we live each day. Phil and I commit to teaching children's church ever so many months a year. It's been a blessed process over the years. I've seen myself grow up in ways that I thought I never would. Be stronger in my faith just by studying more in depth for our lessons. Getting the real background of the stories, not just reading scripture.  Working through the stresses of getting all the lesson prepared and not nagging at one another. I realized who was causing it and put a stop to the wiles of the devil. Trying to make us against each other instead of together. A commitment to encourage ourselves as we step forth and teach the children in unity.  Sometimes the curriculum is the problem and we tweak it. We enjoy the children and encourage them in their walk in the Lord. We've seen young ones grow up and now this year we've seen 4 get married, just recently, to Godly spouses!  It's the beauty of the Christian walk, like the sunshine shining through the stained glass windows. Life is brighter and better with the Lord!  Have a blessed week, my friends!!

Linking up with Lisha:GiveMeGrace

10 comments:

Mereknits said...

A beautiful post today just like those beautiful windows.
Hugs,
Meredith

Dawn said...

Stained glass windows are some of my favorite pieces of art to study, especially the way they bend light into prisms of color. It reminds me that there are so many ways we can see something, that even in the small broken pieces there is still something beautiful.

Blessings!
Dawn

Camille said...

Such a lovely post, Becky. Thank you for sharing your heart and your struggles and triumphs as you walk with the Lord....you have blessed my heart in the process. How good our Great God is! I am so thankful with you that your sweet friend is with the Lord...one day, He will call us home, too! What a thought!! Big Hugs, Camille

Gracie Saylor said...

Thanks for sharing your walk with Christ so beautifully, Becky xxxxxxx

Linda W. said...

Love your stained glass window photos!

seespeakhearmama.wordpress.com said...

Better and brighter and the only way I know how to do it. I love stained glass and God has used it as well as other elements of architecture to speak to transform my walk. Love the pictures ! Thanks so much for sharing!

Lux G. said...

I love stained glass. The art is just amazing.
A beautiful reflection here too.

Have a blessed week!

Betsy said...

Beautiful! I was blessed by reading your post today Becky. I love stained glass windows in churches. The cathedrals of Europe were gorgeous with the stained glass. I think that was my favorite part of traveling, seeing the beautiful artistry.
Blessings,
Betsy

Kathy said...

I don't know how I keep missing your posts. And this was not one to miss. I love the stained glass windows. I'm imagining how many people looked at them over the years while listening to the word of God. What a blessing to know that this life here on earth is not the end. That there is eternity with our Heavenly Father to those who put their trust in Him.

I know what you mean about the lessons you teach. I learn so much preparing to teach my ladies on Tuesdays. I always say the teacher learns more than the students.

TamaraB said...

Such a beautiful reflection of Pat, wonderful words of encouragement and beautiful pictures. So Blessed by your example of a faithful walk as a Daughter of our King. Hugs