Thursday, September 8, 2016

This Day in History 40 yrs ago

 Here's a photo of my training flight when I was in USAF basic training. Can you find me? I'm second row and to the right of TI with the skirt on.  It was taken Sept 8.  Oh the memories of those days gone by. Would I actually make it through to the end of training? Yes I did. Not as smart as others but still made it through  basic and clear through the end of my 4 year enlistment!
 This year I decided to get armed forces license plate for my car. It was a chunk of money to do it. Usual price of the renewal which is $86 and then all the paper work they need to do made it a total of $125! Oh dear me! I often wonder why veterans should have to pay for the plates at all! Disabled and a few others don't pay anything. Oh well! I figure that was a gift to myself in honor of my 40th year!?

This girl likes flowers too!! What's a celebration without them? I went out to the Swan Island Dahlia farm after work on Wed. Walked through some of the 40 acres of their beautiful flowers. Here are these beauties! I did bring some cut dahlias home. Too many too choose from....pink, red, purple...red won out! I'll show you more of them later.  
Happy day,  my friends and thanks for visiting my blog!

6 comments:

Linda W. said...

Love your new military plate. Yes, I wonder why service members are required to pay extra? I'd be okay with the additional charges if the $$ goes to help veterans. I have a Crater Lake plate on my car and the extra money I pay for it goes towards the National Park.

Becky L. said...

When I renew the plates it's an extra $10 which goes to the Veterans home in The Dalles. I forgot to mention that.

Betsy said...

Love the new plate. Thank you for your service Becky. I don't think Veterans should have to pay extra either.
Blessings,
Betsy

Gracie Saylor said...

I admire and am grateful for your service, Becky! So glad you got to go to the beautiful Dahlia farm, too. xx

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your service Becky--it looks like a very nice license plate, even if you had to pay extra. Isn't the dahlia farm awesome? We missed it this year. Sigh.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend!
Blessings,
Aimee

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I completely agree! The military plates should be given or at least sold at the same price as regular plates to vets. Thank you for your service, Becky! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm sorry I don't visit yours as often. This season of life is so nuts, but I'm going to try to keep blogging when I can and I hope to meet you in person someday :)