Tuesday, October 11, 2016

What a Weekend!

 Our weekend was eventful but good. I was hoping to post this late Sunday or Monday. But it didn't happen. You'll see why as you go! Our first stop was church on Saturday afternoon for a dear lady. Here's a flower arrangement by the door. Below is Helen and her four sons on front of the program. She was a sweet lady who was in our Israel Bible class on Sundays. She was always ready to read scripture when the time came, had some great comments, and a good friend. I didn't know her real well but well enough to miss her kindness she gave me and many other people. I'm missing her already!
 One of her scriptures that was shared included 1Peter 1:3-9 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. ......."
 After the service, we headed over to the open house at the main fire station in town. Here the flag is flying from the ladder truck. Nice day out. No rides given on it any more. Years ago we were up in it and could almost see our house from there! The firemen come into the hardware store often, so I needed to come by and see them in their place of business. I'd walked through the front doors, instead of the back.....ooppss! Well, we'd got up to the window where a fireman was sitting. he looked at us, and I asked "Is it ok to go through this way.. ? You know me right?" He says (with a smile) "well you do look familiar!" It was good to see them and looked at some displays.

 Once we were done there, we headed over to the hardware store to get supplies for a project. Last month we had a new roof put on our house. We had the two skylights taken out and covered over. Now we are needing to cover up the space with insulation and a board below it. So we got that and some paint for the wood. We decided to get an off white.....but which one? So many choices so we chose to be Logical! Phil managed to get the trim in the car by putting the back seat down and pulled it through. I forgot til last evening when I was driving home that the seat was still down. I'd not driven my car since Saturday. Phil worked on painting one of the two big boards that afternoon. He wasn't able to do a second coat of paint on Sunday though.

 Come Saturday evening, we went to Red Robin for our actual anniversary dinner. We'd already planned to go there and look what appeared in the stack of mail? Megan had hidden her card to us in there! Inside was a gift card to eat there. So we used it! .

 Sunday morning we taught children's Bible class. This month is the Good Samaritan story, Luke 10:25-37. After the lesson we made rolls of bandaids, (which the dough represents); the oil blend spread, cinnamon and (brown) sugar represented the oil and wine put on the wound. Once baked we gave them each a dollop of grape jelly...another symbol of wine. Also stands for Jesus' blood that was spilt on the cross for our sins. 
 I made the bread dough myself as some of the children are allergic to some items in store bought dough so I made it myself. It turned out pretty good.
 Late Sunday afternoon, I was sitting at my lap top, working away, my light on since the day was dreary, wet and chilly. When all of a sudden the lights went off and immediately there was a loud pop! Oh dear! Nothing down the street. Well....turn everything off. Phil and I decided to go on a walk before it got dark. So we were out walking and we headed back around and yup! I thought that was a PGE bucket truck! We got closer and saw that a tree had fallen...a neighbor explained it to us...See the red X? There's the powerline the tree took down and it pop off the top part of the transformer. Oh dear me...that's gonna take some time to fix. Phil went over to one of the PGE men and said, jokingly "I have a wrench and screwdriver or two in my tool box at home if you need it!" The man laughed! Leave it to Phil!

 We decided to go to Panera Bread for dinner. Megan went with us. We ate there a couple months ago when the power went out on a work day. Here's my tuna salad sandwich and butternut squash soup, which is seasonal and one of my fav soups. Megan recharged her e reader and I recharged my cell phone while we were eating.
Once home, I lit 3 candles on the dining room table.  Phil and I played a game of cribbage, in which I won. As you can see, I had a cup of tea and some type of dessert. The power was off til 2:57 a.m. Monday! House temp was 67 degrees when I went to bed. It was getting chilly. I was happy to have warm bed to crawl into and didn't require an extra blanket. I knew where to get one if I needed to. It's all good. I need to stock up on a couple different batteries, especially the lantern, that isn't working now as it didn't have a battery in it. Sigh! We've been having small earthquakes, lately on the Oregon coast and some very close. Thankful they are small, but there is the threat of something bigger some day. I'm thankful for flashlights, candles and a house to keep us out of the rain, which was happening Sunday. I thought of the repairmen working in it that night and prayed for them for safety and well being. Thankful for electricity and that we don't lose it very often. To have it out 2x that close is unusual.  
It's time to head into the kitchen and fix some lunch for tomorrow and wash my hair. More rain on the way all week, is the story and I'm working two more days. Then off to dentist on Friday for a bit of work done. Nothing too major, thankfully! Sigh! Happy mid week, my friends, and thanks so much for your kind comments!


5 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

You are certainly one busy lady. I have just started to prepare for winter with extra batteries, candles logs and gas cylinders. Hopefully none of it will be needed. Take care.

Betsy said...

My goodness you had a busy week. I'm sorry about your friend for those she left behind but happy for her that her reward has come. I enjoyed hearing all about your weekend and glad the power outage wasn't longer. That was a fun and imaginative lesson you had with the children and one they won't soon forget.
Blessings,
Betsy

Kathy said...

Oh my, Becky, what a time you have had. So sorry to hear about the homegoing of your friend.

I love that lesson you gave the kids. That is very cool.

I hate when the power goes out. We don't realize how much we depend on electricity until it isn't there. At least it was fixed quickly. During Hurricane Sandy my sister was without power for over two weeks.

Hope you have a good end of the week.

Summer said...

Glad you had a good weekend! Happy Thursday ♥

Mereknits said...

I am sorry about the tree falling, but I sort of like it when the electricity goes out for a short time. It is lovely to power off.
Hugs,
Meredith