Monday, November 14, 2016

Boots in the Rain


The evening walk was refreshing, but wet as well! I was hoping the rain would subside for our walk. It did slow down but picked up a bit when it was walking time.  In the dark of late evening, where trees drip more on me than rain itself. My jeans became wet right below my coat line. It went down further, longer we walked. A shorter walk for me, as I was done, even though it was fun to walk in puddles cuz I could in my boots. Phil tipped his head a few times to let the rain fall from hat's brim. My coat dripped as I pulled it off indoors. Pulling boots off were easier than putting them on. Off went jeans now in the wash and hung coats inside shower curtain to drip off the raindrops in tub. Dry pants and warm, fuzzy boots feel so good. So does hot tea and cookies while doing dishes, laundry, going through bills in mail pile. Filing away to pay later as I file away my day's memories of work. Of getting life back to normal after a weekend of changed plans due to protests in Portland. Of talking kindness to customers, no matter who they are, in our hardware store. In my daily life, always.  All people matter.   Filing away photos to share with you in another post of my veterans' day. It's been a busy weekend with making 4 quarts of applesauce and freezing it on Saturday. Too tired to can it. Cooking up raw meat and make it into meals for later, making pizza and eating more than usual. I was so hungry that evening. So tired.  I need rest, for my body. I need rest for my soul, that's been weary. Praying for our country and for those policemen out in towns/cities who are protecting people and property. For peace to seep through the cracks of unrest. For a good night's rest for all and a better tomorrow. One day at a time.

"Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I (Paul) come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel, and not in any way terrified by your adversaries, which is to them a proof of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that from God. "  Philippines 1:27-28

"Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only from his own interests, but also for the interest of others." Philippians 2:1-4


8 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I pray that your Country and ours will find some peace with the political unrest that is happening in both of our Countries. Although from different parts of the World I do thank you for your service and honour you on Veterans day. Take care.

Kathy said...

Becky, I felt as if I were right there walking with you in the rain. Doesn't it feel so good to get into dry warm clothing and sip that cup of tea?

I am so disappointed in the people of this country. To protest because your candidate didn't win an election is so childish. It's as if they are throwing a temper tantrum. I didn't vote for President Obama, yet didn't riot and actually respected his position as our President. So sad.

Hope you have a great day! Keep looking up.

Summer said...

Beautiful post ♥

Gracie Saylor said...

Thank you for your encouraging post, Becky. xx

Jeanette Levellie said...

yes, "One day at a time," is a wise motto. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Becky.

aimee said...

Had trouble posting a comment with my cell phone, so if you end up with two comments from me feel free to delete one of them. It was good to read your words and the Bible verses in your post this week. I am feeling SO sad and SO discouraged due to the words I have read lately on Facebook, etc. and badly needed to read words of love and kindness. Thank you.
Blessings,
Aimee

Teresa Kasner said...

I'm glad you practice kindness and goodwill where you work. We should all make sure and do that. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Camille said...

Oh, the rain!! It surely can do a lot of that here in this part of the world! :) I've been on walks like you described where everything below the hem of the coat was soaked through. Good for you to have gone out in that! I bet you slept well that night. Yippee for cooking things up and storing them away in the freezer to draw upon in the future...that feels so good. Hugs, Camille