Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Sunday Fun

Our fifth Sunday in children's church was fall party time! We didn't have a specific lesson. But Miss Beth shared a story written by a 10 year old that works with God's message through pumpkins. She started out with a pumpkin that needed to be washed, just like we need to have our sins washed away by Jesus.  Then there's all the icky, yucky gooey stuff inside that needs cleaned out *in pumpkin and in us*! 
Once all of that is done, we become happy and shine for Jesus!
We become a light into the world, shining His love everywhere we go!
The age groups were divided and each had a table to do crafts after the short lesson. Phil and I helped with these thankfulness journals the children made. Everyone picked a color of notebook and a page of stickers for their names and a sticker to put over the scion logo. Then they were able to do a bit of coloring then slid to the next table.

Here the children had a few strips to write on that expressed what they were thankful for. Then they were stapled at the bottom and top and a stem attached.
Fun pumpkins, gourds and squash were on the counter by the kitchen. Miss Cindy brought them in and made it all look festive. She's doing well for having baby Levi late Aug. #5 boy for them! They are so fun and adorable.
Another table was building structure with toothpicks, gummy pumpkins and gummy oranges
I had enough time to make a thankfulness journal for myself. I waited til the end and chose an orange book since all the purple ones were gone! But there were purple letters and some Es left! We had to find a few more As and Es for children near the end. Sometimes you have more vowels than are on alphabet sticker pages. These seemed to only have one letter each. No extras but there were enough to be able to spell a name, even if it had to be a different color! I did this quickly and helped pick up the little stuff that came off the stickers. Sat down half way through the time we had since my back was hurting a little bit. Still getting used to be readjusted (but it's now coming along better each day.)

There were snacks but we were too busy putting things away that we missed it! Oh, wait! There's some in a Ziploc bag in the kitchen. I found a paper bowl and put some in for us to snack on our drive home. I made sure there was enough yummy pieces besides pretzels, as Phil isn't a pretzel eater. We had lunch a little later than usual so it was a good snack!

Once our spaghetti lunch was over, I got out my mail in ballot and went through it. I'm so glad I'm done with it. All the election fliers are gone and our ballots were taken to the drop box by the library on Monday! Score! This election is one I've had enough of. Just praying for our country in this time of ......I can't think of a good word for it right now. God knows the outcome. We just vote as we choose, which I'm thankful for, and carry on!


I was happy to receive these cds, that I ordered, in the mail on Sat. Stuart Townend is a Christian singer that my friend, Laura, introduced me to. I really enjoy his music. It's almost the style I grew up with. He's from England. I had to order it through Amazon since I couldn't get it through Family Christian, where I usually get some of my Christian books and music from. "There is a Hope" has a CD and DVD so will be watching that one soon.


I didn't dress up as anything for Hallowe'en work day on Monday. But I did wear a couple different pins, added a necklace and a lanyard that didn't match well. What Not To Wear? with purple and blue and pink, and a pen that went through the bun in the back of my head. Nothing like Joni who dressed a Captain Pirate woman with a sword! That's Joni for ya!  After work I went over town and to another co-worker's house where Ann and her family had a party and trick or treating. Megan was there as well, since she knows the family as they live across from the library. It was a bit of a trial driving through the intersections with families trick or treating in the stores down town. I managed to find a place to park in city hall's lot, since it was closed. I didn't stay long since the garage was chilly and so was outside. Before we left Megan and I walked over to next house, where she knew the people there as well. They always decorate for the seasons. We actually went inside and the house is decorated beautifully. Built in 1869, if I remember correctly. The husband has lived in that house all his life! Amazing! I'd love to see inside at Christmas time. 
Once home we ate the roast beef that cooked in crock pot all day. Phil made  mashed potatoes and veggies. The veggies got burned on accident so we had homemade applesauce. Too late to make more! ARG!  Such is life!  
Hope your week is going well and it's time to leave blog-o-sphere for now. 
The pillow is calling! Hugs and blessings and thank for coming by for a visit!

"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. His love endures forever!" 
Psalm 118:1

7 comments:

Summer said...

The snacks look so nice ♥

mamasmercantile said...

Such a lovely lesson taught using the pumpkin, inspirational.

Betsy said...

What a great lesson with the pumpkins. That was really inventive and appropriate. We also had roast in the crockpot and it was great. No burnt veggies! Ha! We stayed hunkered down inside Monday night and it was really quiet in our neighborhood. It was rainy, cool and windy so I think it deterred all but the most determined. I enjoy reading about the rhythm of your days Becky. Thanks for sharing with us.
Blessings always my friend,
Betsy

weekend-windup said...

Teaching new things through children with objects make them understand better than reading from books. It was an nice try to motivate children...

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I love it when we can talk about Jesus in object lessons. Isn't that they way he teaches us through His Word ? Just wonderful! Glad all is going well for you guys and that you voted. Yes, it is all in God's hands. Have a great day, my friend!

Beatrice Euphemie said...

The children must have had so much fun creating their pumpkins, Becky! Bless you all for spending time to give them some happy moments. Too bad about the burned veggies, but applesauce sounds just as good. Hope you are enjoying this beautiful season. Sending hugs and blessings to you xo Karen

Camille said...

What a beautiful analogy there is in pumpkin cleaning and cutting....a great visual for the children to tuck away in their minds to reflect on. Children's ministry is a precious one as these little ones can grasp so much more truth than they are often given credit for. Big hugs and blessings to you, Becky! Camille xo