Sunday, January 1, 2017

A Chilly New Year 2017

 On New Years Eve day, I drove up to Portland to meet my friend Laura at her house.  Laura wanted to go out for lunch and I drove her to Burgerville, which was her choice. I was going to pay for our meal but she insisted in paying since I drove up to see her. We had a good visit. It was the first time I've ever parked in a handicapped spot as she has a handicapped parking placard. It seemed weird to do it but it was legal. Laura is doing good even though her left hand is numb and uses a cane to walk, if need be. Soon she will start treatment again but not sure what it will be. She had an MRI done Friday and will get results back later this week when she goes to her dr appt. We had a good afternoon and spent 3 hours together before I left to head back home. We stopped at the Scottish Country Shop on way to her house. It's a fun little store and found out there's a cafe and tea room there as well. Maybe that will be our next lunch date.  I bought a cute tea pot necklace, no thanks to her mentioning jewelry that she bought. I wore it today.
 I brought this lovely strawberry tea pot home from Laura's house. She was getting rid of a few things and I love the strawberries and it is close to my Wild Strawberry little dessert dishes but not quite, even though this one is made in England as well! She gave me 3 cds she's  never opened either.
 Once I got home from putting fuel in my car and grocery shopping, I made dinner, with Phil's help. Our evening meal was pizza accompanied by sparkling cider since it was on the brink of the New Year! We didn't stay up late. Unfortunately my mixing bowl fell and broke which made me sad. It's pottery and not sure if I want to found out how much it costs to replace or just buy a glass Pyrex one. Choices! Sigh!
 Megan and I watched the countdown/ball drop from NYC at 9 p.m. our time. Then we don't have to stay up til late to watch it all here. Around 8:30 we'd heard a loud bang. So loud that I jumped when I heard it in the kitchen. Megan heard it and people miles around did as well. Most likely a sonic boom.
 This morning Phil and I worked with the children's church 2nd service. Here's some of the girls coloring 2017 pages in the activity time before they go into group event.
 How many sticks will go on til it falls over? Don't bump the table!
 Phil and I helped with the obstacle course that Ullysis and Erin set up in the fellowship hall. Ullysis turned down the lights and turned on the rotating party light for fun and the children loved it. The course had hula hoops on the floor they had to jump into ...one to the next...4 hoops; turned the corner and walked with a small football between your legs, threw a frisbee..
 and crawled or climbed over the "laser yarn"! There were 2 teams and they all enjoyed it. Then this kindergarten/1st grade group rotated to the other room where they had a lesson about the new year that Cindy taught.  In came the 2nd/3rd graders to do the obstacle course. First group came back into the room for songs with the others already in the room, until the children's parents came to claim them.

 This evening Phil and I were going to drive over to Subway for dinner but we decided to stay home. Snow was sticking to our roof and the road and Megan's car. I'd just got finished cleaning the kitchen! Sigh!!! Well, chicken nuggets, thawed biscuits and carrot sticks were our meal. This photo was at 6:35 and it's still snowing, our grass is covered. Will wait to see what the morning brings. Work awaits but will we make it? Do I need to slide over to the hardware store? Will we have enough to close the city down again? Right now it's 32 degrees and a little covering of snow.
I'm looking forward to what's in store for the new year. I have knitting to start again and be organized. I bought myself a 2017 planner to work out my days. I like the room it has for notes and places to write addresses. My address book is in need up help. I'm also in a 52 week Photo Challenge that's on Facebook. One of my friends from church tagged me to let me know it was going on. I did my first photo today. That will be a separate entry. I must go and fold laundry for the first time this year and drink some hot tea and put items together for my work lunch. May even head for bed a bit early as this grandma is tired. And need to get up early to check out the weather and drive slow.  Oh one funny thing I saw on the reader boards on the interstate while driving Sat.....Drive Sober Or Get Pulled Over. Not really funny but interesting. Happy New Year to you all and thanks for staying with me through the years!


"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

5 comments:

Kathy said...

How nice to spend time with your friend. I pray all goes well with her MRI. I really like going to Irish and Scottish shops. You see such nice things there. The teapot is gorgeous. I really like it.

What fun for the kids in Sunday School. I'll bet they all loved the activities you had planned for them.

I hope you are safe and not snowed in too badly. We have had rain all day. I feel as if it's cold enough to snow, but fortunately it hasn't yet.

Have a Happy New Year!

mamasmercantile said...

I am so glad that you were able to catch up with your friends. Hope all goes well with her further treatment. It certainly looks like a lot of fun at your church group for the children, such a delight. Wishing you and yours a wonderful 2017.

Mereknits said...

You are a lovely friend Becky. Happy New Year.

Linda W. said...

Cute teapot! Glad you got to do some NYE celebrating - I went to bed before midnight too. Hope the snow doesn't slow you down.

Gracie Saylor said...

Becky, I am having a hard time keeping up with you :) I'm so glad you had a good time with your friend and that she is well enough to be out and about a little. I can imagine that the shop is fun, and I would find lots to tempt me to buy! The church celebration looked pretty amazing, too. Happy New Year! xx