Friday, June 16, 2017

Your Choice: Week 24 Photo Challenge

My Choice was the latest capture of Cape Arago Lighthouse, out of Charleston, Oregon. Oregon Coast getaway we had the other week gave me the opportunity to photograph this lighthouse again. This time I used my newer 300mm zoom lens I acquired last summer. A few years prior I'd used a 200mm zoom lens. This one is much closer. This was near sunset and was hoping for a barge come into view, like it did last time. Waited. Didn't happen, just a buoy to the right. The fresnel lens no longer resides in this lighthouse but in the Coos History Museum we visited after the Fest of Sail outing we had earlier that day.



The back side of the lens one rarely gets to see.




Description of the fresnel lens that was housed in Cape Arago lighthouse.

 An interesting piece upstairs in museum that we couldn't figure out what it was. The ladies at museum weren't sure what it was either. Opening at top allowed you to put something in and there were gears inside it and the end where it came out, which is on the left. Phil and I figured it was a corn husker and the corn came out at the other end. What's your theory?
 Fishing/crab boat outside the museum. We spent quite a bit of time reading and learned a few things about the area and sailing and lumber and....

 Near the front entrance was a boat's propeller. This looks very damaged. To the left, one prop is completely broken off and the part in foreground is very damaged. It might have hit a reef or sand bar. Not a good day for those people.

 We headed into Bandon once we left the museum. Twenty minute trip to find some cranberry treats. Here's a stained glass at an activity center.  We went to Cranberry Sweets and More store and we were delighted with all the delicious samples they had out. Phil said it was a bit better than Costco. So many things to choose from including this mug that I had to buy! So pretty! I bought a bit of everything,,,not quite, but some things to go into birthday gifts and a couple pkgs of cranberry scone mix and a brownie mix. I need to make that one this weekend.




Kite flying over part of old towne.  We ate dinner at the Fish and Chips Chowder House where you can buy fish to take home as well. We ate ours there. Another delicious meal...I had fresh bay shrimp sandwich. Oh so good! We headed out to get some gas then drove back north aways til we came to road that took us to Charleston. Quite a lot of nothing but trees and foxglove. So pretty and interesting way to go. Glad we did as we didn't have to go into town and back track. That's the end of that Friday for us on June 2. A bit caught up but now will have to go backwards to get the Fest of Sail event.

To Be Continued.......

5 comments:

Betsy said...

I really enjoyed taking a trip to the coast with you Becky. These are places that I haven't been before as we usually stay up north. Since I love the coast so much, I just know I would enjoy these places too. Thank you to you and Phil for taking us along and I'm looking forward to the next part .
Blessings, Betsy

mamasmercantile said...

It was a joy to come along with you and see such a variety of things that I wouldn't normally see. Love your new mug and the sound of the cranberry scones.

Gracie Saylor said...

The lighthouse looks so similar to the Crescent City CA lighthouse I did a double take 🤔 I wonder if you are right about the corn husker contraption...I think I saw one at the Philip Foster Farm near here. My aunt and uncle took us on a tour of cranberry bogs near them in MA. I was so surprised to learn we have cranberry bogs here in OR. I have ordered some of their cranberry treats online since I was given some. I look forward to your next installment, too 🤗

Linda W. said...

I love Bandon! Glad you were able to make a trip there.

Teresa Kasner said...

I enjoyed so much learning about that lighthouse.. I've seen many of Oregon's lighthouses but not that one! I caught up on your last blog posts too.. that flea market looked like it was something I'd love to go to! Can you let me know the next time they have one? Enjoy tomorrow with your family! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)